Crazy scaler idea

Questions and discussion about building and using Max for Live devices
jomtones

Crazy scaler idea

Post by jomtones » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:20 pm

I wonder if anyone has come across something like this - I want to find / make a scaler that will play a new note from the selected scale wherever I play (bit like they way they do it in Garage Band for the iPad)

Ok to contrast - If you select say a C Minor Pentatonic in the Ableton scaler, it will play the same note on quite a few keys - e.g. C, C# and D will probably all play C.

What I want is a scaler that basically ignores the keyboard and plays you a new note every time, crushing the scales down, e.g. for a C minor pentatonic:

C plays C
C# - D#
D - F
D# - G
E - A#
F - C

and so forth. Does this already exist? If not can anyone suggest how to make it? Thanks!

Gregory Taylor

Re: Crazy scaler idea

Post by Gregory Taylor » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:38 pm

I never understand the use of the term "crazy" here - here's nothing particularly crazy about this, since Max folks do it all the time. In M4L/Max, it'd be stupid simple - a large coll with an entry for each of the 128 notes, or (if you want to get fancy and want to keep things entirely within the compass of single octaves) running a dividing the MIDI note number to get the octave (the remainder is the note) and *then* using a coll or table to give you the lookup, which you'd then add to the octave multiplier. Presto - new notes for old.

Gregory Taylor

Post by Gregory Taylor » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:40 pm

Come to think of it, there's something like that in a tutorial I wrote on the Cycling '74 website quite a while back.

http://cycling74.com/2010/06/14/noise-t ... he-random/

flowdesigner

Post by flowdesigner » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:11 pm

jomtones wrote:What I want is a scaler that basically ignores the keyboard and plays you a new note every time
Have you tried the change object?

jomtones

Post by jomtones » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:34 am

Thanks for the ideas folks, haven't had time to follow this up and as I'm a total Max noob not much of it makes sense yet! :oops:

Illiac

Post by Illiac » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:57 am

I just made my own scale bank out of frustration with Live's. It was super easy. just read up on the coll and itable objects and you're half way there.

greaterthanzero

Post by greaterthanzero » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:03 pm

The danger with max for live is that you can waste a lot of time reinventing tools that Live already gave you.

Open your MIDI Devices folder. There's a pair of them we need to bring to your attention.

First, "Random". Set its parameters to establish the range of notes that it will choose between.

That will turn the precise notes you play into more of a buckshot pattern. But many of the resulting notes will be out of scale, so you need a second object to reign them in:

"Scale". ('nuff said)

If you like, you can then group those devices into an effects rack, set up some macros, and the result might look something like this:
http://sadfactory.com/assets/live/Aaron ... roject.zip

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:03 am

greaterthanzero wrote:The danger with max for live is that you can waste a lot of time reinventing tools that Live already gave you.
and the danger with forums is that it can be difficult to convey what one wants to achieve.

I think OP wants to simply squash down a scale so that playing across the keyboard has no repeated notes. This doesn't involve any sort of randomization.

Gregory was spot on; simply using a lookup table of any sort fed by the midi pitch is enough.
Also, judging by the date of the original post, I'd sincerely hope it has already been figured out...
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

Illiac

Post by Illiac » Wed May 01, 2013 2:43 am

Edit: Just the original posting date. Oh well; maybe it'll be of use to someone else.

Try this:

http://www.maxforlive.com/library/index ... =16+scales

Bagatell

Post by Bagatell » Wed May 01, 2013 6:44 am

Illiac wrote:Edit: Just the original posting date. Oh well; maybe it'll be of use to someone else.

Try this:

http://www.maxforlive.com/library/index ... =16+scales

I did. A quick try at a C3 Lydian scale gave me a sort of C6 arpeggio with an added G#. I'm hoping someone will put a fold button into Scale.

Illiac

Post by Illiac » Wed May 08, 2013 3:34 am

Bagatell wrote:I did. A quick try at a C3 Lydian scale gave me a sort of C6 arpeggio with an added G#. I'm hoping someone will put a fold button into Scale.
That's because I got lazy and only entered the first 16 notes, starting at C-2, to offset to the scale degrees. After having a look at Gregory's noise tutorials, I now know how to do it a lot better and easier. Thanks, Greg! I'll upload a better version soon...