Max 6 announced!

Questions and discussion about building and using Max for Live devices
Machinesworking

Re: Max 6 announced!

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:58 pm

stringtapper wrote:
Per Boysen wrote:Any ideas if Max 6 will finally bring an upgrade discount for Pluggo owners? M4L didn't.
Again, everything regarding Max 6's impact on M4L is coming "at a later date."

That said, I could have sworn that they gave Pluggo owners a $50 coupon for M4L. It was detailed in this post:

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php? ... 7#p1019617
Unfortunately the coupon was only good until June of that year. So in my case I couldn't afford $249 then, so no discount. NI are currently doing the same thing with Kore, you as a registered Kore user have until the end of the year to get a substantial discount on Maschine. It's more than annoying when companies do this IMO, but I get it from a business perspective, they don't want to have to check licenses cross application for years to come, only for a few months etc.
Another drawback to all this limited discount nonsense is that I'm in the position where I see M4L as the only viable solution to my Kore issues once Kore is no longer, so buying a copy and learning it well enough to do the relatively basic stuff I want to do with it is necessary, but I sure don't have the kind of cash flow right not to afford M4L and Maschine. So very likely I'll have to let the Maschine offer slide....

Per Boysen

Post by Per Boysen » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:41 pm

@stringtapper,
I must have missed that Pluggo owner discount (as it was announced long after M4L had been announced). Thanks for educating me on this!

As things look now it seems a bit risky to buy Max 6 without first waiting out Live 9 to get a clear picture of what gives related M4L and all. Oh well... I hope I will have enough cash if that day comes around.
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
http://www.perboysen.com

ark

Post by ark » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:28 pm

Per Boysen wrote:As things look now it seems a bit risky to buy Max 6 without first waiting out Live 9 to get a clear picture of what gives related M4L and all. Oh well... I hope I will have enough cash if that day comes around.
You can't buy Max 6 now anyway.

Cycling'74 is hosting a Max conference in New York the weekend of October 14-16. They have already said that Max 6 will be a major focus of this conference.

It is hard to believe that Max 6 will not be available by then. By implication, by then Ableton will either have to have made Live 8 compatible with Max 6 or released Live 9.

So I am thinking that by mid-October, the situation will have clarified; and you probably won't be able to buy Max 6 much before then anyway.

Meanwhile, if you don't have it already, you can buy Max 5 now and get Max 6 at no extra charge when it becomes available.

Per Boysen

Post by Per Boysen » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:45 am

ShelLuser wrote:
Per Boysen wrote:As things look now it seems a bit risky to buy Max 6 without first waiting out Live 9 to get a clear picture of what gives related M4L and all.
You do realize that Max and M4L aren't really related this way ?

Meaning: if you would buy Max 6 when its out it wouldn't affect M4L related issues. Owning Max doesn't provide M4L and vica versa.

Just like the supported features; these too don't always have to match fully (as in; Max can support stuff which you can't do in M4L and vica versa).

So when it comes to Max 6 I wouldn't let M4L influence any decision on whether to get it or not.
I don't want to make assumptions like that but rather wait and see. For me it's also a question about which solution will fit my situation best, since my time is limited and projects need to be finished on time. Whatever tool that works is fine, maybe it turns out I will still get by with integrating VST and AU plugins in Bidule - still got some more testing to do. My interest in Max-MSP is to set up some specific patches and when that is done I won't be using it much more outside the concerts.
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
http://www.perboysen.com