newbie M4L MIDI question

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
h_double

newbie M4L MIDI question

Post by h_double » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:31 am

I am working on my first M4L experiment, which is a MIDI effect that will hopefully let me detune individual notes in a scale (via pitch bend) as a way to play alternative scales/tunings on instruments that don't support different scales.

I'm trying to use midiselect objects to make a cascading if/case statement, such that "if note is one of x1,x2,x3,... then apply this process, otherwise continue down the line". Here's the basic gist of my patch:

I've tried several different tweaks along these lines, but can't figure out how to make one set of notes to be pitch-bent one way, while other notes are pitch-bent differently. I've tried sending the note groups to different MIDI channels (which is what I'd need anyway in order to play polyphonically) but I'm new enough to Max that I'm sort of in the dark as to how to implement it.
http://discolingua.com -- rock - dj mixes - live tutorials

broc

Re: newbie M4L MIDI question

Post by broc » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:38 am

The basic problem here is that an M4L device cannot send MIDI to different channels. It's a limitation imposed by Live.

The solution would be to use multiple parallel M4L devices for handling the different groups of notes.

sacredgeometry

Re: newbie M4L MIDI question

Post by sacredgeometry » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:14 pm

broc wrote:The basic problem here is that an M4L device cannot send MIDI to different channels. It's a limitation imposed by Live.

The solution would be to use multiple parallel M4L devices for handling the different groups of notes.
there are some externals that solve this problem, I cant actually remember what they are called, if I do I will get back to you.
Peace + Hugs

Brian