SHARE: Operator Advanced Envelope

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
trevox

Re: SHARE: Operator Advanced Envelope

Post by trevox » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:50 pm

Works a treat now on a Mac!! One little bug though - clicking on Osc A modulates Osc D and vice versa. Similar for Osc B and C. Doesn't really matter though - just have to remember!

Thanks a million for getting this sorted so quickly - much appreciated!

ring (Simon Slowik)

Post by ring (Simon Slowik) » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:09 pm

That's crazy, man. For me A controls A, B controls B and so on. I tried it again, it works as it should!

If you want to find the solution together with me, you could drag the Live.API_explorer (Max Audio Effect - tools) behind the operator and find out the parameter numbers of the 4 sustain levels.

For me it's:
A - 33
B - 60
C - 87
D - 114

Is it the same for you?

trevox

Post by trevox » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:43 pm

First time I had used live.api_explorer - really handy tool once I figured out what I was doing!

Yep, it's literally backwards - here are the parameter numbers:

A: 114
B: 87
C: 60
D: 33

So at least it makes sense why it is doing what it is - I guess the question is why are these parameter values different?? Is it a Windows vs OSX thing - I would presume it has to be. Be interesting for another mac user to try it out...

ring (Simon Slowik)

Post by ring (Simon Slowik) » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:26 am

Funny!

Let's try whether the parameters are completly mirrored or changed en bloque.

29: Attack
30: Init
31: Decay
32: Peak
33: Sustain

If it's en bloque, you could simply do the following:

- there's a subpatcher called parameters
- you could put a [!- 3] object between the [- 1] and the [* 27] object. That should do the job.

Friedrich

Post by Friedrich » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:41 pm

@ ring

Ok, I now installed ejies, and I have a visual. Thanx man.

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:43 pm

cmon we need freaking runtime for m4l stuff like this.
i want this, but shit man i don't have 2.5k swedish to spent on m4l so i can use these things.
not sure if it's worth it for me because i have no idea whether i would program my own stuff with it or not, and that prive isn't enough to justify getting some new devices imo.

but shit man this however does really wet my pants.

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:01 pm

friend_kami wrote:cmon we need freaking runtime for m4l stuff like this.
i want this, but shit man i don't have 2.5k swedish to spent on m4l so i can use these things.
not sure if it's worth it for me because i have no idea whether i would program my own stuff with it or not, and that prive isn't enough to justify getting some new devices imo.

stop complaining. consider it the live9 update you didn't buy last winter. check out max4live.com, download, and have hundreds of new live-devices + a community of developers that listens to your ideas. marvellous.

trevox

Post by trevox » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:36 pm

ring wrote:Funny!

- you could put a [!- 3] object between the [- 1] and the [* 27] object. That should do the job.
Sorry, just getting around to this now.

I checked and they do seem to be changed "en bloque"!

I don't seem to be able to edit your patch though. Can't see anywhere I can unlock it for editing....

trevox

Post by trevox » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:42 pm

trevox wrote:
ring wrote:Funny!

Sorry, just getting around to this now.

I checked and they do seem to be changed "en bloque"!

I don't seem to be able to edit your patch though. Can't see anywhere I can unlock it for editing....
OK, I am an idiot!!

I just checked and Osc A is at the bottom and D at the top, so it totally working fine! Is this the same in Windows? A little counter-intuitive if you ask me, but I should have noticed :oops:

ring (Simon Slowik)

Post by ring (Simon Slowik) » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:04 pm

trevox wrote: OK, I am an idiot!!

I just checked and Osc A is at the bottom and D at the top, so it totally working fine! Is this the same in Windows? A little counter-intuitive if you ask me, but I should have noticed :oops:

Ha! Sometimes the easiest solution is the best.

So parameter numbers are the same on windows and mac which means that also the device is cross platform, right?!

By the way: Editing the device should be possible by clicking "unfreeze"!

trevox

Post by trevox » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:21 pm

ring wrote:
trevox wrote: OK, I am an idiot!!

Ha! Sometimes the easiest solution is the best.

So parameter numbers are the same on windows and mac which means that also the device is cross platform, right?!

By the way: Editing the device should be possible by clicking "unfreeze"!
Yes, the most recent version (without Lmult and Ldiv) works great cross platform. To be honest, I feel I will use it more to modulate non-operator parameters, though not necessarily Live parameters. I generally use UDP to send data across tracks (or even programs) to other M4L patches or VST/AU effects and it works really well. I should be able to create a separate Max patch to accept the envelope values and covert to UDP, but would be nice to have it in one patch!! Would it be possible to incorporate a UDP send into this? Or alternatively could you send an editable version I can add this function into it? I would of course send it to you and not share without your permission. I totally understand if you would prefer not to :)

ring (Simon Slowik)

Post by ring (Simon Slowik) » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:37 pm

trevox wrote:Yes, the most recent version (without Lmult and Ldiv) works great cross platform. To be honest, I feel I will use it more to modulate non-operator parameters, though not necessarily Live parameters. I generally use UDP to send data across tracks (or even programs) to other M4L patches or VST/AU effects and it works really well. I should be able to create a separate Max patch to accept the envelope values and covert to UDP, but would be nice to have it in one patch!! Would it be possible to incorporate a UDP send into this? Or alternatively could you send an editable version I can add this function into it? I would of course send it to you and not share without your permission. I totally understand if you would prefer not to :)
As far as I know you should be able to edit this device (or any other shared devices) by just turning off the FREEZE Button. Next to the PRESENTATION View Button. If it doesn't work I still can send you an unfreezed version.

And as I shared this device I am of course down with reediting and developing it further. :)

stoersignal

Post by stoersignal » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:21 pm

pepezabala wrote:
friend_kami wrote:cmon we need freaking runtime for m4l stuff like this.

stop complaining. consider it the live9 update you didn't buy last winter. check out max4live.com, download, and have hundreds of new live-devices + a community of developers that listens to your ideas. marvellous.
thats so true pepezabala! all the people don`t know what thy miss. it makes live the ultimate, perfect live performance weapon, even if u don`t patch your own devices!!!

trevox

Post by trevox » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:05 am

ring wrote:
trevox wrote:Yes, the most recent version (without Lmult and Ldiv) works great cross platform. To be honest, I feel I will use it more to modulate non-operator parameters, though not necessarily Live parameters. I generally use UDP to send data across tracks (or even programs) to other M4L patches or VST/AU effects and it works really well. I should be able to create a separate Max patch to accept the envelope values and covert to UDP, but would be nice to have it in one patch!! Would it be possible to incorporate a UDP send into this? Or alternatively could you send an editable version I can add this function into it? I would of course send it to you and not share without your permission. I totally understand if you would prefer not to :)
As far as I know you should be able to edit this device (or any other shared devices) by just turning off the FREEZE Button. Next to the PRESENTATION View Button. If it doesn't work I still can send you an unfreezed version.

And as I shared this device I am of course down with reediting and developing it further. :)
Unfortunately the freeze button is greyed out too. Again I totally understand if you don't want to share the inner workings of this. I am sure it took you quite a while to create it!!

ring (Simon Slowik)

Post by ring (Simon Slowik) » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:19 am

trevox wrote:Unfortunately the freeze button is greyed out too. Again I totally understand if you don't want to share the inner workings of this. I am sure it took you quite a while to create it!!
I still think there should be a way for you to unfreeze it yb yourself, but I also don't mind to give it to you:

unfreezed version

Remember to install the jsui external now by yourself!

For sure there are projects that are too complex to share them for free. But not this one, it's just a little tool. And as I've been using software of others (curve.function) frequently in this project, I can't seriously say "THIS IS MINE!" :)

cheers, simon