SHARE: Operator Advanced Envelope

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
ring (Simon Slowik)

SHARE: Operator Advanced Envelope

Post by ring (Simon Slowik) » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:58 pm

Hey friends!

For me my favourite synth are Operator and NI FM8. And I always found it hard to decide which one to use, as Operator is very easy to use and properly integrated into ableton. But FM8 has some features, especially according complex envelopes, that I missed in the Operator.

So I made a tool, that extends the abilities of the operator envelopes and enables you to have rhythmic and long evolving envelopes.
And now I'd like to share it with you:

You can download it here: Operator Advanced Envelope

EDIT: I realized that I can include js-files via the freeze function and so I updated the upload.
The jsui that I use is part of the ejies-library. It's still worth to install it but you don't need to anymore. You'll find it here: http://www.e--j.com/?page_id=76
Many thanks to Emmanuel Jordan and Martin Robinson!

Features:
  • automatic search for operator device, remember and restore original envelope
  • maintain the level control of each oscillator
  • unlimited points and curved lines
  • time measures in ms or Beat.Bars.Units for synced rhythms
  • easy zooming and preset function
I made a little demo video to show how easy it works: www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ir0cIBNuvA

Feel free to visit the website of my project: www.ringensemble.de

Have fun!
Simon
Last edited by ring (Simon Slowik) on Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AceLuby

Re: SHARE: Operator Advanced Envelope

Post by AceLuby » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:12 pm

This looks sweet... I wish M4L was a bit cheaper because stuff like this is just awesome.
levimoniz wrote:yes i'm a hypocrite and not intelligent

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:36 pm

This is awesome, thank you for sharing !
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:45 pm

Very very cool....

Cheers
D

ring (Simon Slowik)

Post by ring (Simon Slowik) » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:24 pm

Now it works without installing the external library!

I realized that I can include the js-file by using the freeze function. So I changed the upload and edited my first post.

There a bug with including svg-pictures, so I still had to put them into a zip-file.

Cheers,
Simon

the bite

Post by the bite » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:48 pm

Awesome!!!

Thanks!

m:o

Post by m:o » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:57 pm

i am trying your favorite device but getting your mentioned bug with the graphic
files. the envelope screen stays blank..?!

any hints

ring (Simon Slowik)

Post by ring (Simon Slowik) » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:11 pm

Normally it should include the all js-files when freezing. But maybe it needs even more than that js to work. I don't know exactly what's neseccary as I have everything installed. Did you try do install the ejies library?

Valiumdupeuple

Post by Valiumdupeuple » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:40 am

Fucking cool Ring.
I've a made a similar patch for the exact same reason as you. But, in mine, the envelopes have no option for curved line, and that detail makes your patch really great.
BTW, I've implemented the nice target patcher thing that appears in the API tools with Live 8.2. That way I can assign ANY parameter simply with one click.
I haven't try/look at your patch by now, but when I'll have time I'll integrate this feature in it. I'll let you people now, in case someone's interested; and share it if Ring is ok.
... Or maybe Ring will be faster than me...
Cheers

trevox

Post by trevox » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:18 am

Hi,

This looks amazing. However, when I installed it first, the envelope screen was blank like m:o. I installed the ejies library and now see the graphic. But the patch still does not work. I went to edit in Max and I got 4 error messages which are:

live.menu - can't find nopic
newobj - live.thisdevice: No such object
newobj - Ldiv: No such object
newobj - Lmult: No such object

While I can create envelopes, they do not seem to output anything or receive any info from Live's transport. That's what it seems like anyway.

Any ideas?

Cheers

trevox

Post by trevox » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:36 am

Ah, those embedded objects are .mxe files. Presuming you made this on a PC. Any solutions for Mac users? Do you have equivalent .mxo files?

ring (Simon Slowik)

Post by ring (Simon Slowik) » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:10 am

Valiumdupeuple wrote:BTW, I've implemented the nice target patcher thing that appears in the API tools with Live 8.2. That way I can assign ANY parameter simply with one click.
I also started with that MAP-Button. But for controlling the oscillators more than one thing is neseccary AND it stores and restores the complete original Envelope!

But I will implement a second destination function that you already know from the LFO and Pitch Envelope from Operator.
trevox wrote:But the patch still does not work. I went to edit in Max and I got 4 error messages which are:

live.menu - can't find nopic
newobj - live.thisdevice: No such object
newobj - Ldiv: No such object
newobj - Lmult: No such object
- live.menu: That's normal. On the preset menu the first item should be empty. That's why I called it "nopic".
- That looks like you don't have the latest Max Version installed. live.thisdevice is a newer feature of M4L.
- Ldiv and Lmult are small externals that I can replace by normal code. I will upload a new version when done.

By the way: Be careful when editing this device! The curve.function-js turned out to be very instabil. It might crash ableton and MAX in editing mode - but as far as I know it's stabil when using the ready device in ableton.

cheers,
Simon

ring (Simon Slowik)

Post by ring (Simon Slowik) » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:17 pm

Good Evening!

So here's a new version: OAE 1.1

- I replaced the Lmult and Ldiv objects by vexpr. So I hope it works for Apple by now. Please tell me!

- I integrated a Dest. B analog to Operator's LFO and PitchEnv. (Though I find it a bit ineffective in a way I decided to just copy the inteface from the M4L-API because you're probably used to it.)

Friedrich

Post by Friedrich » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:07 pm

Thanks man, I like to try this. Downed yr latest version (am on XP though)
Envelopes screen stays blank, could that be the SVG files that I have to store somewhere ?

Thanks!

ring (Simon Slowik)

Post by ring (Simon Slowik) » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:34 pm

You can leave the SVG-files simply in the same folder as the device. Or in any of MAX' search paths. It's only needed for the PRESETS drop down menu.

For the JSUI you'll need the ej.function javascript file.
As I said I tried to include it via freezing. But if it doesn't work please try to install the latest ejies version from http://www.e--j.com/?page_id=76.

Please be sure to have the latest version of MAX/MSP installed!

And please tell me whether it works. We'll work it out!

Edit: I tried to reproduce your error without success. I deinstalled my ejies so that I cannot load the ej.function jsui in MAX editor. Then when I drop in the Operator Advanced Envelope it loads again the js - so for me this external is properly included.