M4L, Macro knobs and CPU isssues.

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
stax67

M4L, Macro knobs and CPU isssues.

Post by stax67 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:05 pm

Hi all,

I have an issue with a device I have built for controlling a set of macro knobs on a rack using touchosc. It's a simple device xy pad for parameter control with z for device on/off and a slider for controlling the chain selector in the rack. The M4L patch uses the learn function (live.remote and friends)for picking the parameters to control.

The rack I am using has 128 chains containing different FX, 2 parameters from each FX are mapped to either x or y and the z is mapped to the devicce on/off buttons.

Right, the problem is that when I 'learn' the parameters with the M4L device the CPU level jumps to around 25% while idle. If I turn the mappings off it goes back down. This problem seems to be only brought on by x, y and z the chain selector doesn't seem to be an issue.

The only thing I can think is that the macro knob is mapped to 128 different things so has to 'monitor' all of them, I tried to nest this rack within another so I had two layers of macro knobs, hoping that the problem would stop as the macro knob my M4L device was looking at was only mapped to one parameter (rather than 128) but no luck.

Has anyone come across the same or similar problem?
Does anyone know a way around this?

I can't post my patch at the moment as I am at work, but if anyone wants to see it let me know and I wil post it when I get home.

Cheers,
Stax.

3dot...

Re: M4L, Macro knobs and CPU isssues.

Post by 3dot... » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:28 pm

stax67 wrote: The only thing I can think is that the macro knob is mapped to 128 different things so has to 'monitor' all of them, I tried to nest this rack within another so I had two layers of macro knobs, hoping that the problem would stop as the macro knob my M4L device was looking at was only mapped to one parameter (rather than 128) but no luck.

Cheers,
Stax.
that...
plus
128 rack chains = 128 sub-mixer tracks
including seperate pan volume and 128 tracks to mix...
loads of fx (128 tracks times at least 1 or more devices)
moving a macro will move 128 knobs regardless ...
Lives cpu priming...

that's ..a whole lot of processing..
I that this in a nutshell is the issue..

how much cpu for the fx rack without the m4l patch?