Pulling thing out of lists

Questions and discussion about building and using Max for Live devices
docprosper

Pulling thing out of lists

Post by docprosper » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:26 pm

Say I have a list: 11 12 13 14
I want an object that will take an input, like "get 3" or something similar and spit out that item in the list, in this case 13. Does such a thing exist? Coll seems built for matrices, and unpack is too messy. I have a funny feeling this is really easy but am stuck. Help a noob.
Funk N. Furter wrote:Post properly.
Ableton Live Suite | M4L | Powerbook | Launchpad | APC40 | Faderfox | 2x1200 | ...
---> http://soundcloud.com/kilcraft

pid

Re: Pulling thing out of lists

Post by pid » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:14 pm

<pre><code>
----------begin_max5_patcher----------
423.3ocuT9saBBCEF+Z3o3jdsiPaUptra1ywhYoBUoaPqQpYNM9tu1BN+yXN
YZjKNI8zC86ie8vYSX.ZhdknBAOBu.AAaBCB7obIBZVGfJ4qRK3U9xPpkkSD
KP8p2xtRpJDF+d3ljS0JSkbsvmiDEuuV8RythIMYqSY9btn1EHoxf5AnIb0L
DLtoJYlWb8j2dfsS64bSZtTM60EhTS8KSHIV4fg8cwAwtHwF+9XbNSwK8Rgd
dgjWfbarMLzE5cgHnTTUwmI14CiXkWdDl1JVHsgkQQLFcXxnVYC92XSq.YvY
.RhmDXVbDkDGGy5ALOgHraNUThOrt4GPYcAnL4PGPSm6XbsKsRF5YHClf8ng
VSHBMZ.Yj8491wfsJa8.f6e87oacMj+lMCG3hLZDyQlDKkFdyISptrT39i+D
x7DTn0uCbCXxEPtnX9TYg35G6D+SRL5bCT5mbXWRmGo3KCUHUmNj0qkK+wro
RubQ5t6slqIXuXYhJiTwMRs5fZnGUStLKSnN7asTlMWaGq1XAXbq2SWpinWf
irij.7cyQrKjQ+WGYWrM7KP6NNZo
-----------end_max5_patcher-----------
</code></pre>
3dot... wrote: in short.. we live in disappointing times..

docprosper

Post by docprosper » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:12 pm

awesome pid, works a charm and looks like a powerful little object.
for those that want to skip the code pid posted, "zl nth 3" does the trick. Thanks again!!
cheers,
Hamish
Ableton Live Suite | M4L | Powerbook | Launchpad | APC40 | Faderfox | 2x1200 | ...

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:13 pm

Yeah, you should definitely have a look to all the abilities of the zl object !
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
iMac 27" Retina i5 3,2 GHz OS 10.11.3 L10.0.1 M4L.

docprosper

Post by docprosper » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:57 pm

No wonder I couldn't remember/find this object, "zl" is a pretty random name, as opposed to "unpack", etc. IMO, it should be in the "see also" list for "pack" and "unpack", as it allows for other, more detailed ways to manipulate list components. Anyway, just glad to have found it.
-Hamish

olivierseb

Post by olivierseb » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:37 pm

docprosper wrote:No wonder I couldn't remember/find this object, "zl" is a pretty random name, as opposed to "unpack", etc. IMO, it should be in the "see also" list for "pack" and "unpack", as it allows for other, more detailed ways to manipulate list components. Anyway, just glad to have found it.
-Hamish
You are right Hamish, could be nice.
I guess the new Max 6 research system will fill this gap.

for the record, if you create a new object then click the " = " sign, choose "list" in the menu you can see zl among pacl and unpack

olivier

MacBookPro17", mac OS 10.6.2/RME FF400 & FF800
http://www.olivierseb.com

Max for Live training sessions in Paris @
http://www.apaxxdesigns.com/

Max for Live training sessions in Rennes @
http://www.intouchmedia.fr

ShelLuser

Post by ShelLuser » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:02 am

docprosper wrote:No wonder I couldn't remember/find this object, "zl" is a pretty random name, as opposed to "unpack", etc.
Well, not remembering is one thing but there's no excuse for not finding it. Just RTFM :wink:

Seriously though; the Object functional listing is excellent for those kinds of situations. In this case you're doing list processing and see which objects reside under the "lists" header?

And of course this is also included in the installed Max documentation.

PS: Just checked out of curiosity but you do realize that zl is mentioned in the "See also" section of the Pack reference page?
With kind regards,

Peter

Using the Big Trio: Live 10 Suite + Push, Max8 / M4l and Reason 10
Blog: SynthFan

docprosper

Post by docprosper » Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:23 pm

ShelLuser wrote:
docprosper wrote:No wonder I couldn't remember/find this object, "zl" is a pretty random name, as opposed to "unpack", etc.
Well, not remembering is one thing but there's no excuse for not finding it. Just RTFM :wink:

Seriously though; the Object functional listing is excellent for those kinds of situations. In this case you're doing list processing and see which objects reside under the "lists" header?

And of course this is also included in the installed Max documentation.

PS: Just checked out of curiosity but you do realize that zl is mentioned in the "See also" section of the Pack reference page?
You got me there Peter. In my defense, I have gone through most of the tuts; my problem is that I have bursts of creative Max time followed by long dead zones in which I tend to forget the nomenclature. Totally forgot about the functional list, that would have solved my problem quickly.

I have been thinking about buying a Max textbook just to have a good desk reference to keep my confusion to a minimum; I tend to get too distracted looking for solutions on the interwebs.

Cheers for all the help from everyone for this & all my other Max questions; this is IMO the friendliest of the Ableton forums.
Hamish

pid

Post by pid » Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:57 pm

well, i agree with shel and doc.

sometimes it is a real pain just remembering where to look... i personally have got used to this but i see many new users who still find it hard.

i think Max6 is going to seriously improve all these reference issues.

the other issue here is that, not just for new users, the zl helpfile is a complete pain. i mean i use zl all the time but i can never quite recall exact names of the modes, so i am always looking in the helpfile, which has that strange subpatchers way of documenting things.

luckily, being max, everything is cutomisable! pro user 'jvkr' made a fantastic alternative helpfile for zl which i bastardised slightly. you can get it from this thread if you scroll down to the very bottom:

http://cycling74.com/forums/topic.php?id=28407

i keep it in my 'extras' menu.

hth,
pid
3dot... wrote: in short.. we live in disappointing times..

ShelLuser

Post by ShelLuser » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:00 pm

docprosper wrote:
ShelLuser wrote:PS: Just checked out of curiosity but you do realize that zl is mentioned in the "See also" section of the Pack reference page?
You got me there Peter. In my defense, I have gone through most of the tuts; my problem is that I have bursts of creative Max time followed by long dead zones in which I tend to forget the nomenclature. Totally forgot about the functional list, that would have solved my problem quickly.
I know the feeling all too well. And there's also another thing to consider here (at least that's what often happens to me): eventually you start to overlook the obvious. Esp. when trying hard to remember or find something.
I have been thinking about buying a Max textbook just to have a good desk reference to keep my confusion to a minimum; I tend to get too distracted looking for solutions on the interwebs.
Indeed; if you eventually end up on forums like these then the day is over before you know it. :mrgreen:
With kind regards,

Peter

Using the Big Trio: Live 10 Suite + Push, Max8 / M4l and Reason 10
Blog: SynthFan