Max 6 is out!

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
ark

Max 6 is out!

Post by ark » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:24 am

Not much more to say for the moment.

I don't know whether Max 6 is compatible with Max for Live, but if it's not, I imagine it will be shortly.

starkaudio

Re: Max 6 is out!

Post by starkaudio » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:32 am

I'm very interested in knowing if there are compatibility issues at this time. I'd like to upgrade to Max 6, but don't want to break M4L.

Evengy

Post by Evengy » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:39 am

starkaudio wrote:I'm very interested in knowing if there are compatibility issues at this time. I'd like to upgrade to Max 6, but don't want to break M4L.
maybe you could write the support!

synnack

Post by synnack » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:06 pm

starkaudio wrote:I'm very interested in knowing if there are compatibility issues at this time. I'd like to upgrade to Max 6, but don't want to break M4L.
Indeed. Let me see what I can find out from Ableton today.
MBP | Live 9 Suite | Max for Live | Push | MOTU Ultralite | iPad | Analog Modular Synths | Moog Voyager
aka "Tempus3r" | Music | Blog | Twitter | Soundcloud

[stm]

Post by [stm] » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:07 pm

Hi,

If you want to share Max for Live devices but also want to use Max 6 standalone, you can simply leave Max 5 installed and associated with Live - the parallel installations work fine!

Cheers,
Stas.

synnack

Post by synnack » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:08 pm

[stm] wrote:Hi,

If you want to share Max for Live devices but also want to use Max 6 standalone, you can simply leave Max 5 installed and associated with Live - the parallel installations work fine!

Cheers,
Stas.
So that implies that Max for Live is NOT supported with Max 6 and you MUST keep Max 5 installed for it to work. Correct?
MBP | Live 9 Suite | Max for Live | Push | MOTU Ultralite | iPad | Analog Modular Synths | Moog Voyager

[stm]

Post by [stm] » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:10 pm

tempus3r wrote:

Cheers,
Stas.
So that implies that Max for Live is NOT supported with Max 6 and you MUST keep Max 5 installed for it to work. Correct?
Not quite. :) If you buy Max 6 standalone now, it is possible to use it with Max for Live - but if you want to publish your devices and make them available to Max for Live users who do not have Max 6 and in general ensure compatibility, the parallel installations are the best way to go. Also, the Max 6 functionality has not been thoroughly tested in M4L and I would highly recommend using Max 5 at this point - a Max 6-compatible version of Max for Live will be available in the future.

synnack

Post by synnack » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:44 pm

[stm] wrote:
tempus3r wrote:

Cheers,
Stas.
Not quite. :) If you buy Max 6 standalone now, it is possible to use it with Max for Live - but if you want to publish your devices and make them available to Max for Live users who do not have Max 6 and in general ensure compatibility, the parallel installations are the best way to go. Also, the Max 6 functionality has not been thoroughly tested in M4L and I would highly recommend using Max 5 at this point - a Max 6-compatible version of Max for Live will be available in the future.
Ok that helps. But this has been true of every Max release. Not just 6. If you share a device that depend on something new about max but are still on an older version it won't work.

Seems like the answer is that it is supported but not recommended as it hasn't been thoroughly tested.

Thanks!

synnack

Post by synnack » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:23 pm

Compatibility info from this thread posted to Maxforlive.com

http://www.maxforlive.com/news.php?id=115

julienb

Post by julienb » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:06 pm

[stm] wrote:
tempus3r wrote:

Cheers,
Stas.

good to know.
I guess if we install max6, we'll still have the choice to use 5.
In preferences (command + ,), we can choose that.

BUT, I'm afraid of "kind of" dependencies mismatches etc.

btw, I will upgrade.
I need light speed of gen~
Julien Bayle
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

art + teaching/consulting
ableton certified trainer
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

ark

Post by ark » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:41 pm

tempus3r wrote: So that implies that Max for Live is NOT supported with Max 6 and you MUST keep Max 5 installed for it to work. Correct?
No. In Live's preferences, under the "Files" tab, there is a place where you can designate which Max installation you want to use with Max for Live. A quick test showed that it appears to work with Max 6, but of course I didn't test exhaustively.

If I had to guess, I'd guess that Live 9, when it appears, will require Max 6--but I don't have an overwhelming amount of confidence in that guess.

julienb

Post by julienb » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:48 pm

and if Live 9 would be a Max6 Object :o
Julien Bayle

$4mU3l

Post by $4mU3l » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:50 pm

Max 6 isn't compatible with Liev 8.2.6!

My system crashed as I attempted to open Launchpad Step Sequencer, for example.
Last edited by $4mU3l on Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

julienb

Post by julienb » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:57 pm

ouch!
did you have to solve some conflicts between old/new objects in Max when you have tested it?
Julien Bayle

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:00 pm

$4mU3l wrote:Max 6 isn't compatible with Liev 8.2.6!

My system crashed as I attempted to open Launchpad Step Sequenzer, for example.
It's working fine for me as long as I use patches that contain only Max 5 objects, so your first statement isn't true.

julienb wrote:and if Live 9 would be a Max6 Object :o
Wait, wouldn't that create some kind of mobius? Live inside Max inside Live inside Max inside Live inside Max…
Unsound Designer