M4L.envfol~ abstraction

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
masterblasterofdisaster

M4L.envfol~ abstraction

Post by masterblasterofdisaster » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:28 pm

M4L.envfol~

Anybody familiar with this one?

I popped it open last night to figure out what is going on, and I can deconstruct it later this evening - but still, the shaping controls are a bit curious, and I was hoping for some immediate insight/advice.

What parameter usage would be equivalent to adjusting attack and release? (plogue bidule's envelope follower is more "standard" in this respect).

Thanks!

pid

Re: M4L.envfol~ abstraction

Post by pid » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:23 am

M4L.envfol~ is probably the coolest and most wonderful little abstraction in the entire M4L.* series. it is a fantastically controllable yet simple and powerful envelope follower to use in your devices.

for a demo of it working in a m4l device, just go to your library:

Max Audio Effect/Tools/Max EnvFollower.amxd

here you can clearly see and quickly learn the effect of the parameters on the envelope displays.

take that device apart and away you go...

there are other demo devices that use it too. in the API stuff i think. cannot remember.

i use it to drive API controls mainly. in fact it is the only provided abstraction i actually use.
3dot... wrote: in short.. we live in disappointing times..

masterblasterofdisaster

Post by masterblasterofdisaster » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:47 pm

Thanks. I didn't need help opening the abstraction and looking at it, though.

Does anybody else know what in this abstraction relates to attack and release?

And while I'm here, is there any more documentation than what's available on the cycling74 site for M4L? It seems a bit sparse, a bit lacking. Clearly, I'm missing something.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:37 pm

Since so much of what M4L can do is dependent on basic functions from Max itself, the meat of the documentation that is relevant to understanding how to use M4L is the Max documentation itself, specifically the built in tutorials.

Most of the M4L specific features are covered in the introductory documentation, the help files for the .live objects, and the Live lessons that are loaded into your library when you install M4L.

The big point to understand is that while the Max and MSP tutorials aren't specifically labeled "Max for Live" they are indispensable for understanding how to program using M4L.
Unsound Designer

zlatko

Post by zlatko » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:15 pm

slide~ is your attack-release filter...
btw. this does not use the fastest envelope follower - called instantaneous - which you could snitch from zb.ampMod on maxforlive.com.....
Who else has been sick of 4/4 for the last 10 years ??

www.zlatko.hu

masterblasterofdisaster

Post by masterblasterofdisaster » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:45 am

Thanks stringtapper and zlatko.

I'll check out slide~ and hit those MSP tutorials (gah! tutorials. I'm used to just intuiting this stuff. Either I'm short on time these days or getting really old and crusty... probably both.)