LPC-Live + M4L stuff?

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
rpc9943

LPC-Live + M4L stuff?

Post by rpc9943 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:04 pm

Juuuust bought max 4 live, wondering if my new launchpad and LPC-Live is able to work at the same time as say a step sequencer m4l plugin (as in, can I switch from both, or is that not compatible)?

Thx
http://theconsolationproject.bandcamp.com
Influenced by The Cure, Smiths, early Verve, My Bloody Valentine, Radiohead, Red House Painters, Cocteau Twins, The Church.

COOLOUT

Re: LPC-Live + M4L stuff?

Post by COOLOUT » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:35 am

I gotta ask...why do you need any other step sequencers?

LPC has enough...16 and 32 note step sequencing for drums and melodies.

All sequenced directly into the clip without the CPU overhead and additional setup of M4L.

rpc9943

Post by rpc9943 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:52 am

Haha well it's quite obvious that I haven't even began to explore lpc live yet.
Influenced by The Cure, Smiths, early Verve, My Bloody Valentine, Radiohead, Red House Painters, Cocteau Twins, The Church.

COOLOUT

Post by COOLOUT » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:12 am

Yeah man...LPC is the business. You have to dive into it with both feet.

I've been telling everyone...LPC and Launchpad is the best front-end for music production with Ableton.

There's plenty of great stuff out there for live performance, but for writing and production it really doesn't get any better than LPC in my opinion.

It does so much that had to print out the manual.

Then made this and now I'm running full speed:

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:28 am

Am I the only one who thinks that while LPC is a stunning feat of coding, it sort of takes the immediacy of the Launchpad and turns it into a convoluted menu-ridden system?

I've watched the tutorial videos. All of them, and each page is riddled with functions in a way that makes it really inaccessible.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

rpc9943

Post by rpc9943 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:38 pm

The only part I've found useful SO FAR is the shift + mode view with the arrow keys and focus changes... Still haven't been able to set up the step mode, unsure why it's not following it. That's why I figured hey might as well try out m4l to do it...

I'll have to contact stray I guess to see what I'm doing wrong

RonC

COOLOUT

Post by COOLOUT » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:57 am

Machinate wrote:Am I the only one who thinks that while LPC is a stunning feat of coding, it sort of takes the immediacy of the Launchpad and turns it into a convoluted menu-ridden system?

I've watched the tutorial videos. All of them, and each page is riddled with functions in a way that makes it really inaccessible.
Absolutely not. The most impressive thing i've found is not only the functionality but how accessible everything is.

In practice, LPC has a very intuitive layout. You can tell which mode it's in just by the buttons' configuration and colors. Plus with my overlay I never get lost or wonder what button does what.

The videos are demos of all the tools, so it's a little misleading in that you'll rarely use all the functions on one song. There not as much switching between pages. For instance you can easily sequence a whole track top to bottom just using the drum mode.

Trust me, LPC no more difficult to navigate than any hardware drum machine...a lot easier actually.

rpc9943

Post by rpc9943 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:28 pm

Ahhh I see now, you have to be in session mode to compose with the step sequencer.

It's freaking amazing. That mixed with the monoseq...

This is a powerful, insane workstation now.

O_O

COOLOUT

Post by COOLOUT » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:26 pm

rpc9943 wrote:Ahhh I see now, you have to be in session mode to compose with the step sequencer.

It's freaking amazing. That mixed with the monoseq...

This is a powerful, insane workstation now.

O_O
Sorry man, I forgot to tell you that. You have to be in session to use most of the tools.

I personally haven't really used monoseq mode that much. I found it easier to just use scale mode and play something manually.

Here are some other things I've found:

1. You can't edit midi clips with the mouse in drum mode because LPC takes control and handles all the editing (erasing notes, velocity changes, etc). If you want to shift or erase a bunch of notes in a clip with the mouse you have to switch out of drum mode. Just change to one of the other modes, do you edit, then go back to drum mode.

2. Clip mode works with both midi and audio but it sounds a lot better with audio clips. Like all clip automation, the stuff you do in clip mode can be recorded to Ableton's arrangement view. It works really well for creating variation on tracks.

There's probably a bunch more I'm forgetting.