Seeking heavy coloration / atmospheric / lofi effects

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
rpc9943

Seeking heavy coloration / atmospheric / lofi effects

Post by rpc9943 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:49 pm

Hey all,

I am still a new m4l user, and wondering where I could find stuff that can really alter my sounds, FXwise...

I am not talking glitchy stuff, but maybe heavy pitchshifting, amazing delay, atmospheric colorization... kind of stuff you'd see Kevin Shields (my bloody valentine) using or perhaps scott cortez (lovesliescrushing) using...

If I'm being too vague, I could probably explain more if you'd need
http://theconsolationproject.bandcamp.com
Influenced by The Cure, Smiths, early Verve, My Bloody Valentine, Radiohead, Red House Painters, Cocteau Twins, The Church.

JuanSOLO

Re: Seeking heavy coloration / atmospheric / lofi effects

Post by JuanSOLO » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:45 pm

I believe Kevin Shields would be using tons of amplification and stomp boxes, not M4L :)

Are you wanting to play guitar through this stuff, or just fx processing in general?

The "swirl" effect in the default MaxAudioEffect folder makes some pretty crazy noise, kind of like a self generating delay.

rpc9943

Post by rpc9943 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:12 pm

I didn't mean it literally, of course. Yeah, simply looking to get as much as I can out of m4l in this sort of similar output of tone. I know they work in different media etc.
Influenced by The Cure, Smiths, early Verve, My Bloody Valentine, Radiohead, Red House Painters, Cocteau Twins, The Church.

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:25 pm

I was trying to be funny, not just a smart ass, I hope you found the humor in it, and that I didn't come off as a total dick. :) Forums can be weird at times.

rpc9943

Post by rpc9943 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:34 pm

Hahah I didn't get that you were making a joke haha

Yes it was funny. So yeah, I want to get effects for everything. I want to always push my solo music into strange places, and the past two albums were made from reversed clips from songs that were made 4 years ago run through amp sims and then built with me playing and singing over that... So if you get what I'm saying, I am kind of looking to M4L to get me places that I couldn't get with my typical lineup of reverb,delay etc. I'm sure there's crazy stuff out there, I tried browsing, but couldn't find things that really effect the sound in non-IDM ways... :)

ROnC

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:00 pm

rpc9943 wrote:I am kind of looking to M4L to get me places that I couldn't get with my typical lineup of reverb,delay etc. I'm sure there's crazy stuff out there...
ROnC
I have been thinking about this a lot, as well as talk endlessly with a band mate about it. What I think is, there really is only a handfull of effects, AND they are typical.

phasing effects corus/flange/phaser
distortion fx
delays
reverbs
bitcrushing
tremelos
etc.

It's kind of like, here's your parameters/limitations, what can you do with that. I'm not sure a NEW effect as such could be created. BUT, combinations routings, modulations, and so on, CAN indeed create new textures.

One of my favorite FX, is Ableton's Erosion. Put 2 of them side by side, group them to a rack, Map 1 Macro to the "amount" on both Erosions, Map a second Macro to the "frequency" of both Erosions, ONLY invert the frequency value for one of them. Add some reverb or delay behind it, maybe throw a LineFO in to modulate the frequency a bit. Possibly a AutoPan after it set up as a tremelo and another LineFO to slightly modulate the AutoPan's phase a bit.

I also find that Resonator is a great effect for processing.
This guy on the Dallas Ableton user group facebook posted this, I thought it was really cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... GHmeK_qNx0

rpc9943

Post by rpc9943 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:10 pm

I'd really like more recommendations, as there are TONS of effects out there for m4l, none of which really spur my imagination in the details... Saw the use of grainfreeze, and tried it out... WOW! What else do we got?

Already, it seems the LFO m4l plugs are worth the price :)

Gregory Wells-King

Post by Gregory Wells-King » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:56 pm

Hmmm

I too use Max4Live and can't recommend anything because most of what you wan't is possibly about making a rack with API control and setting up the way you want.

Choose a selection of effects chain them together and use an API device to modulate it all, you will get results you want and that should start a fountain of ideas coming to make more.

Chris Kleine http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=173018 makes some great free effects for M4L which I haven't seen, but you will get more out of them if you chain them with others.

Outside of Max4Live I really like NI 'Absynth FX' i.e the effect through version of Absynth, you get some great colour with this.

Camel Audios - Camel Space and Camel Fat are nearly standard place in most folks DAWs and so cheap you should pick em both up without thinking about it really.

Stuff like that. :roll:

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:30 am

Here's one I've had in my arsenal for ages - I don't know why I didn't put it on maxforlive.com yet, but it's my go-to-FSU-delay.

Basically it's a delay with an envelope follower. But it's a VDB delay, so you can use it for glitchiness as well as some ringing Karplus-Strong type things.
Oh, and the loop buffer is 10 seconds, so you can do a glitch, flick it back out to multiple seconds and have that glitch loop immediately.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12606333/Compulsions%20002.amxd
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:57 am

I haven't yet seen a nice pitch shifter plug in that works. You can get something working with the grain delay. The AU device that comes with an applee computer is not that bad but eats some CPU. The max4live-devices I have seen didn't work so good.

rpc9943

Post by rpc9943 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:38 pm

I'm seeking kind of effects that can swirl, smear, and resonate.
This is so vague, but for example listening to "stars of the lid", I know is done with strings and stuff, but I'm saying to get this atmospheric effect that could resonate from say a clip from my acoustic guitar and making it into symphonies of drone beauty... Things like this.

ROnC

philipc

Post by philipc » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:10 pm

Among Live's effects generally I really like the frequency shifter. You can get some really dirty vibrato and ring mod sounds with that.

I've mostly used M4L for modulation stuff so far. That is always useful for getting a nice fluid sound. Just modulate everything a little bit!

Outside Ableton, Valhalla DSP have some really fantastic plugins for this kind of music.

Nice tunes by the way. Love me some shoegaze.

audiolemon

Post by audiolemon » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:53 am

If your not sure how to build you own algorithms then you could look at using some externals - I like the soundhack ones - http://soundhack.henfast.com/freeware/ and the FFT ease ones - http://www.somasa.qub.ac.uk/~elyon/Lyon ... P/FFTease/

rpc9943

Post by rpc9943 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:50 pm

philipc wrote:Among Live's effects generally I really like the frequency shifter. You can get some really dirty vibrato and ring mod sounds with that.

I've mostly used M4L for modulation stuff so far. That is always useful for getting a nice fluid sound. Just modulate everything a little bit!

Outside Ableton, Valhalla DSP have some really fantastic plugins for this kind of music.

Hey thanks, Yeah by modulation you refer to the LFO plugins right?

I really think that M4L's price is worth having this.

What is "The best" LFO plugin?

Thanks for listening and thank you to everyone who is contributing to this!

ps. i just recently bought valhalla shimmer, OH MAN its gorgeous!

philipc

Post by philipc » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:21 pm

rpc9943 wrote:
philipc wrote:Among Live's effects generally I really like the frequency shifter. You can get some really dirty vibrato and ring mod sounds with that.

Hey thanks, Yeah by modulation you refer to the LFO plugins right?

I really think that M4L's price is worth having this.

What is "The best" LFO plugin?

Thanks for listening and thank you to everyone who is contributing to this!

ps. i just recently bought valhalla shimmer, OH MAN its gorgeous!
Yeah! Shimmer will do reverse reverb a la kevin shields too. There's a post on the developer's blog about that.

Anyway, yes by modulation i mostly mean lfos although there are envelope generators that are cool too. The lfos that come bundled with M4L are good. There are a number of 3rd party ones but none that i'm aware of with any really special features.

The buffler shuffler is another stock M4L effect that is great too.