Udpsend.mxe causes live to crash on win 7

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
LOFA

Udpsend.mxe causes live to crash on win 7

Post by LOFA » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:10 pm

Hi,

I am working on an installation with 5 computers. I ran the installation overnight and 4 of them crashed after about 3 hours, indicating a problem with a Udpsend.mxe object. Can anyone think of anything that migt cause this? Perhaps a bad message type? Any help would be very much appreciated!
Last edited by LOFA on Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

broc

Re: Udpsend.mde causes live to crash on win 7

Post by broc » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:02 pm

Why don't you use the native [udpsend] object from Max?

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:00 pm

I was under the impression that this was the [udpsend] object, but it is also possible that someone on my development team downloaded or created an external... I sent them an email... Meanwhile, searching udpsend.mxe also brings up information about viruses and not max/msp or maxforlive related items.

amounra93

Post by amounra93 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:30 am

Yeah, that's just the extension used for Windows externals (mxe as opposed to mxo). Bad message could definitely cause this, or other things with port blockage I suppose (although this shouldn't happen after its instantiated). What are you sending it? Are you using Zeroconf?

a

edit:: oh, I see what Broc was talking about. You have 'Udpsend.mde' in the topic name, not 'mxe'.
http://www.aumhaa.com for Monomod and other m4l goodies.

LOFA

Re: Udpsend.mxe causes live to crash on win 7

Post by LOFA » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:13 pm

@amrouna93: Thank you for the clarification. I sent the email out while traveling- there is a pretty scary development deadline over here.

I heard back from the developer and no, it's not an external. It appears that the problem is with the udpsend.mxe device itself.

MY questions are: how do I test to determine if there is a backlog, bottleneck, bad message or simply a stability problem with max/m4l, causing this to crash during playback, somewhere between 2-9 hours into running? The system needs to be set up for a good part of a year and these crashes would cause a serious problem, especially since numerous instances of live/m4l need to synced.

amounra93

Post by amounra93 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:08 pm

Can't say that I'm much help, but I'm giving it some thought. Is this also crashing Live? What are you sending to? (every suggestion I can think of tends to be rather Mac-centric, sorry.....)

a

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:55 pm

I greatly appreciate any help I can get, so thank you!

Yes, this is crashing live. Occasionally it says that max caused it.

amounra93

Post by amounra93 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:36 pm

I've thought about this a bit, and I just don't know a good way to do this. It would be helpful to know how you are formatting the messages, and what kind of messages you are sending. What does the crash report say?

I responded initially because I have a tester for Monomodular b993 that is having Live crashes on Win7 64bit when trying to use the new MonoLink module, which uses sockets in Python to emulate monome functionality. It seems like its an isolated incident, but I thought it might be connected somehow. I'm not a windows user, so its difficult for me to get in to it very deeply.

a

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:13 pm

Hi,

I am not much of a windows user myself. I have done about three years of maxforlive development on a windows machine, for this one particular client, but right now, that machine is in England, being used to control 6 other machines running the live.set/m4l devices that I have been building.

Things run fine over here, in the US, on my scaled-down version of the set ( I have an i7 macbook and it can only handle so many instances of the objects that the live.set typically controls at once on a beefier machine). However, this is not so descriptive, as I can't effectively recreate the scenario from my end and it is driving me absolutely insane. It strikes me that it could be problem specific to how windows handles network data. There are so many frustrating anomalies that seem to direct back to this. I would just like to know that it's not just a problem with bad messages before enacting more drastic tests.

broc

Post by broc » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:08 pm

LOFA wrote:Meanwhile, searching udpsend.mxe also brings up information about viruses and not max/msp or maxforlive related items.
Apparently there exists a virus related program with the same name as the Max object.
So it seems possible that the Max object gets affected by running some anti-virus software..

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:55 pm

broc wrote:
LOFA wrote:Meanwhile, searching udpsend.mxe also brings up information about viruses and not max/msp or maxforlive related items.
Apparently there exists a virus related program with the same name as the Max object.
So it seems possible that the Max object gets affected by running some anti-virus software..
I was wondering about whether or not this might be an issue but you are the first person to confirm that it may be potentially related. Thank you for this!