functions.mxe crash

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
jomtones

functions.mxe crash

Post by jomtones » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:04 pm

Getting random crashes after re-writing a few Max devices in my live project - Ableton gives me no error message but I had a look in the Win7 Event Viewer and it shows this as being the culprit: 8O

C:\Program Files (x86)\Cycling '74\Max 5.0\Cycling '74\max-externals\function.mxe

Is this actually useful information at all or is that just the standard Max runtime?

Thanks!

(Here's the full error code)

Code: Select all

Faulting application name: Ableton Live 8.exe, version: 1.0.0.1, time stamp: 0x4f748e47
Faulting module name: function.mxe, version: 5.1.9.48561, time stamp: 0x4e6cd835
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000042ed
Faulting process id: 0x1888
Faulting application start time: 0x01cd57a3ec48fd20
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Ableton\Live 8.3\Program\Ableton Live 8.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Cycling '74\Max 5.0\Cycling '74\max-externals\function.mxe

jomtones

Re: functions.mxe crash

Post by jomtones » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:18 pm

Bump! Anyone know what 'function.mxe' is? :cry:

PS. I've mirrored this post here now in case anyone can help - http://cycling74.com/forums/topic.php?i ... ost-198462

pid

Post by pid » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:44 am

function.mxe is the windows function object that comes with max (a graphical bpf editor).

(why not look at the max console instead of going to all that trouble looking at the system console?!)

anyway, most likely problem is that you have saved another file (of any type at all) called "function" somewhere in your max search path(s). search for it and get rid of it. max cannot handle things being in its search path with the same names as bits of itself.

if not, more info required to help.
3dot... wrote: in short.. we live in disappointing times..

jomtones

Post by jomtones » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:33 am

Right, brilliant, I think I know where the error is coming from then! I've cobbled together a pitch bender out of this modulator by Prebentius - http://www.maxforlive.com/library/device/651/modulator - that must be causing the crash.

It's weird cos it will seem to be stable for ages, and then crash without warning.

Well, at least now I can get rid of it before next rehearsal and we can get something done!

pid

Post by pid » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:18 pm

hmmm, if it is crashing 'after a while' then it likely has absolutely nothing to do with function.mxe per se.

sounds like you are trying to use a live.object from an lfo (you should never do this - use live.remote~ instead), therefore filling up to undo history at signal rate, taking over all the ram and causing a crash. however, without seeing your patch i have no idea really and am only guessing.
3dot... wrote: in short.. we live in disappointing times..

jomtones

Post by jomtones » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:54 pm

Interesting, well I don't think I'm doing that, I've got the function.mxe routed straight to a pitch bend out as I recall.

Here's the patch in its current form - the pitch-bend sender you can see bottom right in a bpatcher - it used to be a seperate device till I discovered that added latency, so it's sorta shoe-horned in with its 'receive' links intact.

Odd that it seems to work fine for a while and then bosh, gone - is there any way to test if it's filling up some cache somewhere? I can't see any excessive memory use by Ableton when it's running...

http://www.mediafire.com/file/ci1d2aa54 ... weaks.amxd

Fluxkompensator

Post by Fluxkompensator » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:34 pm

I have a similar problem...
do you use more than one instance of PsykerStep ? If yes, does the crash also occurr with disabled multicore/multi cpu setting of ableton ?

jomtones

Post by jomtones » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:05 pm

Fluxkompensator wrote:I have a similar problem...
do you use more than one instance of PsykerStep ? If yes, does the crash also occurr with disabled multicore/multi cpu setting of ableton ?
Yeah I was using loads of copies of it ... Never tried the multicore setting and I've since gotten rid of the 'functions' part .. if I get a chance to test it I'll let you know.