Max 4 Live 64 bit compatible - costs?

Questions and discussion about building and using Max for Live devices
Post Reply
shpongled
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:40 pm

Max 4 Live 64 bit compatible - costs?

Post by shpongled » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:31 am

Hi,

Anybody from Ableton care to comment on the situation with Max 4 Live which at the moment is limited to 32 bit use? Specifically how much will it cost to move up to a 64 bit compatible version of Max.

Cylcing 74 are NOT able to confirm (-I had an email dialogue with them directly) there will be a free upgrade to owners of 32 bit Max 4 Live to match the forthcoming (currently beta) 64 bit version of Live.
I am reticent to buy Max until I know what additional costs we could all be looking at.

Thanks.

darth_fader
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:29 am
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: Max 4 Live 64 bit compatible - costs?

Post by darth_fader » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:02 am

Did Cycling 74 confirm that there is an upcoming 64 bit version of Max (or M4L)? Did they say when?

shpongled
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:40 pm

Re: Max 4 Live 64 bit compatible - costs?

Post by shpongled » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:05 am

darth_fader wrote:Did Cycling 74 confirm that there is an upcoming 64 bit version of Max (or M4L)? Did they say when?
They confirmed that there will be a 64 bit compatible version (unavoidable really) but wouldn't say when or how much it would cost - very cautious replies !

stringtapper
Posts: 6275
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:21 pm

Re: Max 4 Live 64 bit compatible - costs?

Post by stringtapper » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:26 pm

My guess is that it comes with the next big version of M4L that will most likely release alongside Live 9.

The thing is that Max 6 still isn't officially supported for use as the M4L (although most of it works) and Cycling '74 will probably not be doing any more development for Max 5, so that will have to get sorted. Also, I assume that Ableton would like to increase M4L's feature set which from a coding standpoint is really more about making changes to Live itself. My feeling is that this is more likely to happen all at once with the release of Live 9.
Unsound Designer

shpongled
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:40 pm

Re: Max 4 Live 64 bit compatible - costs?

Post by shpongled » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:08 pm

stringtapper wrote:My guess is that it comes with the next big version of M4L that will most likely release alongside Live 9.

The thing is that Max 6 still isn't officially supported for use as the M4L (although most of it works) and Cycling '74 will probably not be doing any more development for Max 5, so that will have to get sorted. Also, I assume that Ableton would like to increase M4L's feature set which from a coding standpoint is really more about making changes to Live itself. My feeling is that this is more likely to happen all at once with the release of Live 9.
Yes, that is pretty much what was suggested by Cycling's support.
That much speculated date for the release of Live 9 - again.
Just wonder how much additional investment in both Ableton (9) plus M4L is going to be required to move to a 64 bit platform.

wasoota
Posts: 94
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:18 pm

Re: Max 4 Live 64 bit compatible - costs?

Post by wasoota » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:48 am

It's pretty amazing actually, considering how deeply reliant on m4L Ableton had become for avoiding implementing 'advanced' features in Live Vanilla, that they expanded to 64bit without Cycling having even a roadmap for it. When that last sale went down I thought the next announcement would be that it will be part of Live9, instead it was sidelined.

Bit of a slap in the face of Cycling to go ahead without them it seems and quite a dis-integration where I was expecting things to be tightened. Of course 32bit Live is still around, but with 64bit Live strutting its stuff around the block you can't help but see it has become last year's model. That perception of Live/m4L as one integrated product is certainly gone.

At least Cycling74 hasn't given up. I hope they can deliver.

JuanSOLO
Posts: 3236
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:21 am
Location: Shreveport LA, sometimes Dallas/Ft Worth TX

Re: Max 4 Live 64 bit compatible - costs?

Post by JuanSOLO » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:15 am

I have been using the 64bit Live since it was released.
Took a couple of weeks too ween off M4L, but I havent really looked back since.
I used to think there was minor OR no validity to M4L causing stability issues with Live.
After using the 64bit beta, and then trying to go back to the 32bit and run M4L stuff, I realized how smooth Live runs without M4L.

I like the idea of M4L and I hope they move forward on it with Live 9, but ONLY if it's much more reliable.

3dot...
Posts: 9996
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:10 pm

Re: Max 4 Live 64 bit compatible - costs?

Post by 3dot... » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:52 am

JuanSOLO wrote:I have been using the 64bit Live since it was released.
Took a couple of weeks too ween off M4L, but I havent really looked back since.
I used to think there was minor OR no validity to M4L causing stability issues with Live.
After using the 64bit beta, and then trying to go back to the 32bit and run M4L stuff, I realized how smooth Live runs without M4L.

I like the idea of M4L and I hope they move forward on it with Live 9, but ONLY if it's much more reliable.
totally agree.
M4L+Live will tear your CPU to shreds.
Image

metasymbol
Posts: 34
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:00 pm

Re: Max 4 Live 64 bit compatible - costs?

Post by metasymbol » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:10 pm

JuanSOLO wrote:I have been using the 64bit Live since it was released.
Took a couple of weeks too ween off M4L, but I havent really looked back since.
I used to think there was minor OR no validity to M4L causing stability issues with Live.
After using the 64bit beta, and then trying to go back to the 32bit and run M4L stuff, I realized how smooth Live runs without M4L.

I like the idea of M4L and I hope they move forward on it with Live 9, but ONLY if it's much more reliable.
Same here... I didN't used M4L since the 64 beta, with one exception; last week I have bought some M4L patches for M_Audio Venom remote control (5$), but this was an disappointing experience (the remote patches are didn't support the multitimbral design and multi patches of the Venom). Also the Live performance felt so breakable with M4L. A bitter taste of being lost in a world of bugs. Troopers, where are you?
Live Suite 9|27" i7 iMac late 2010 - 10.9.5|15" i7 MB Pro late 2011 - 10.9.5|Saffire Pro 24 + 14|APC80|A-800PRO|Push|HD-3|FCB1010|UltraNova|KeyLab25|M4U|UMI3|Graphite M8|Launchpad|Guitar Wing|BCR2000|Kontakt|GuitarRig|Reaktor|EZdrummer|Diva|Zebra2|MiniV|MidiGuitar|

Post Reply