Since I've updated to Live 9/9.1 and Max/MaxForLive 6.1.5, I've found a very annoying and strange behavior in my MaxForLive sequencers, and so need your help for some simple testing.
My sequencers are using the Max [preset] object to switch presets on the fly using MIDI Program Change included in clips (in session view).
These MaxForLive devices work perfectly, especially when switching presets in realtime with MIDI Program Change included in clips, in Live v8.4.3. These same exact devices produce random audio clicks/glitches when sending MIDI Program Change for switching presets, even if I change the buffer size from 128 samples to 512 samples.If I just click on the memorized presets in the [preset] object, there are NO audio click/glitches. It seems that the problem is in the Program Change. Did Ableton the Program Change function when they have rebuilt Live 9 ?
In my MaxForLive device, I'm using the [midiselect] object for filtering the raw MIDI datas coming from the [midiin] object. I've also tried to use the [pgmin] and [pgmout] objects with the same audio clicks/glitches results ...
In both cases, my MaxForLive devices are sending MIDI datas to Operator or Sampler - the behavior remains the same whatever Live software instruments are used. I didn't test it with VST plug-ins and/or external instruments.
You can download below a Live 9/9.1 session which includes the last version of hps-octane and hps-kgen. Each of these sequencers is driving a live instrument by sending MIDI datas. To run the sequencers, just click on the MIDI clips of each track. These MIDI clips contain MIDI notes (one is used as a reset, and the other one as a clock/trig), and a MIDI Program Change (101 to 125) that is supposed to switch from preset 1 to 25.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7frbu3ienzcl5 ... roject.zip
Can you please try this Live set and tell me if you have these audio click/glitches while switching presets with a MIDI clip containing Program Change ? Try also to click directely on the black dots of the [preset] object.
Take into account that setting the clips' quantization to 16th is intentional. The idea is to allow quantized (here it is 16th) sync presets' switching. It used to work flawlessly in Live 8.4.3 + Max 5.1.9 , even when using several instances of these devices, including full Lemur/OSC remote control (which is gone atm). I've always assumed that the MIDI Program Change included in MIDI clips (that's the only way to do it in Live) is sent just a few milliseconds before the proper (in sync) clip start, allowing the device to switch to an other preset just before receiving the next MIDI note that is used as a sequencer trigger.
I have the feeling to get screwed now : it used to work, but since Live 9 (which, IMO, has been completely rewritten) it's kind of broken. I don't really use MIDI clips in a traditional way (meaning to play rhythms or melodic sequences), but mainly as a way to remote trigger MaxForLive MIDI sequencers or external modular sequencers. If I can't do that my setup is broken ...
My only way atm is to switch back to Live 8 and Max 5 (pfff ... they are still on my computer), but I'm now used to Live 9 enhancement, new projects only exist in Live 9. What a mess ... just when I thought that my hybrid setup was stabilized. F*&$k !
BTW, I'm about to definitely close my PayPal account because of an administrative PayPal mess between Iceland and France. These MaxForLive devices will be "postcardwares" ... if you like them, send me a nice postcard ! I will be like traveling around the world !