momentary buttons device - is it possible?

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
filter_7

momentary buttons device - is it possible?

Post by filter_7 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:05 am

a max device to trasform every midi button in a selected instrument as a momentary switch.

is it possible? (i'm not a max coder) :)

exaltron

Re: momentary buttons device - is it possible?

Post by exaltron » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:33 pm

It is possible, but having looked at it from many different angles, I would recommend either using midipipe as described in this video (or another midi translator if you're on a PC- there are tons of workarounds, just search the main Ableton forums for "momentary").

Are you not using a controller that has a software editor? Seems like most moderns controllers can be set to momentary or toggle (but are usually set to toggle by default).

filter_7

Post by filter_7 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:28 pm

I have an Axiom 25 keyboard with no momentary pad setting.

I would like to have a max for live device instead of an external software workaround. Is it difficult to program?

toscanini

Post by toscanini » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:34 pm

Can you configure the pads to output notes aswell?
I ask this because I use a FCB1010 footpedal and the only way for momentary behaviour is with notes. If I output CCs, they will alternate between 2 values.

exaltron

Post by exaltron » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:56 pm

filter_7 wrote:I have an Axiom 25 keyboard with no momentary pad setting.

I would like to have a max for live device instead of an external software workaround. Is it difficult to program?
Well all I can offer is my experience- I have created some pretty advanced devices in Max for Live but I haven't been able to convert regular midi notes on/off to momentary messages. The problem is not just how to go from midiin > convert to momentary > midiout, it's how do you get those midi messages to be received by Live such that they can be midi mapped. You have to look at how the midi signal flow is treated by live- you can't just insert a M4L object in the effects chain of a track and have it picked up for midi mapping purposes. This is all assuming you want to do this in a midi track. In an audio track it's even more complicated as you then need to use send and receive objects to route the midi and again, you aren't dealing with midi that's mappable unless you do some kind of IAC routing to send midi out of Live and back in. Either way, you're looking at two processes (send/receive and/or IAC routing) that are far more costly in terms of CPU than running a threadbare app like Midipipe. In my experience running midipipe in the background was insignificant in terms of CPU load.

Sorry if this is not helpful- I just think if this is not already available on maxforlive.com, it's not because no one's thought of it or thought it would be useful, it's because it's a pain in the ass and/or impractical to do this as a standalone device (vs. building it into a max for live device).

exaltron

Post by exaltron » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:58 pm

toscanini wrote:Can you configure the pads to output notes aswell?
I ask this because I use a FCB1010 footpedal and the only way for momentary behaviour is with notes. If I output CCs, they will alternate between 2 values.
Not sure what you mean, can you rephrase? Are you saying you want to convert the data coming from the behringer?

toscanini

Post by toscanini » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:09 pm

Course not. I mean, you can probably determine, what kind of MIDI data you want to transmit. The keyboard will obviously transmit notes (pitch, velocity), and the pads can either transmit CC, PC or note messages. And it can happen (like on my FCB) that CC has no momentary mode.

exaltron

Post by exaltron » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:29 pm

toscanini wrote:Course not. I mean, you can probably determine, what kind of MIDI data you want to transmit. The keyboard will obviously transmit notes (pitch, velocity), and the pads can either transmit CC, PC or note messages. And it can happen (like on my FCB) that CC has no momentary mode.
And that's why I sold my Behringer and got a Softstep. Problem solved.

filter_7

Post by filter_7 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:33 pm

exaltron wrote:
filter_7 wrote:I have an Axiom 25 keyboard with no momentary pad setting.

Well all I can offer is my experience- I have created some pretty advanced devices in Max for Live but I haven't been able to convert regular midi notes on/off to momentary messages. The problem is not just how to go from midiin > convert to momentary > midiout, it's how do you get those midi messages to be received by Live such that they can be midi mapped. You have to look at how the midi signal flow is treated by live- you can't just insert a M4L object in the effects chain of a track and have it picked up for midi mapping purposes. This is all assuming you want to do this in a midi track. In an audio track it's even more complicated as you then need to use send and receive objects to route the midi and again, you aren't dealing with midi that's mappable unless you do some kind of IAC routing to send midi out of Live and back in. Either way, you're looking at two processes (send/receive and/or IAC routing) that are far more costly in terms of CPU than running a threadbare app like Midipipe. In my experience running midipipe in the background was insignificant in terms of CPU load.

Sorry if this is not helpful- I just think if this is not already available on maxforlive.com, it's not because no one's thought of it or thought it would be useful, it's because it's a pain in the ass and/or impractical to do this as a standalone device (vs. building it into a max for live device).

Thanks, you focused the problem right.
It seems that i must start to like midi software :)

filter_7

Post by filter_7 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:54 am

Just another idea...

Is it possible to customize a Max device with buttons to make this buttons as momentary?

madlab

Post by madlab » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:53 pm

It sure is.
Aboard from V. 1
MBP M1 Pro 2021 - 16 Go RAM - Monterey 12.6.3
MBP 2.5 Ghz I7 16 Go SSD OSX 10.14
iPad + Mira+ TouchOsc
RME FF UC Live 11.3.21 M4L Max 8
Band : https://elastocat.org/
Madlab sound unit / objects, guitar, electronics / end_of_transmission

filter_7

Post by filter_7 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:16 am

madlab wrote:It sure is.
LOL i don't know how to do it :)

can you please try to explain or upload a customized device with momentary button action? thanks