gen codebox

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.

stringtapper

Re: gen codebox

Post by stringtapper » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:25 pm

The impression I get from being one of the few on Cycling 74's Gen sub-forum lately is that you're not the only one a year behind on this.

Gen is immensely powerful and only getting more so, especially when you consider that their eventual goal is to allow users to export straight C code from a Gen patcher. 8O

That will be a revolution.
Unsound Designer

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:41 am

stringtapper wrote:The impression I get from being one of the few on Cycling 74's Gen sub-forum lately is that you're not the only one a year behind on this.

Gen is immensely powerful and only getting more so, especially when you consider that their eventual goal is to allow users to export straight C code from a Gen patcher. 8O

That will be a revolution.
i just recently looked at gen and i happened to stumble on that, so yeah i might be off by a couple of days (or months) haha.

pid

Post by pid » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:56 pm

+ 1

i have been obsessed with Gen and GenExpr for over a year now. it is a revolution. it is the most powerful and easy to use / understand dsp prototyping environment i have ever come across (not to mention everything it can do on the Gpu, too). and jit compiled in real time and totally integrated into the max and maxforlive workflows / environments. the whole world should be using Gen.

i think by its nature it will take a while to 'sink in', but there are plenty of people using it. it is a myth that it is 'difficult' - i am an incompetent idiot and i can use it all absolutely fine.

you should:
a) look at the gen~ and gen examples folders that come with your max6 distro, and always check back on them after every update as new stuff is always being added.
b) keep checking into the max gen forum.
c) get stuck in.

have fun
3dot... wrote: in short.. we live in disappointing times..

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:05 pm

well i am getting more fascinated with it and i feel that yes, this is a freaking revolution.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:39 pm

I just finished a class on delay-based signal processing that was done almost totally using Gen (and a little Csound). I never thought I could wrap my head around Gen either until I jumped right in.

Unfortunately the Gen documentation is not up to par with the rest of the Max documentation but they are working on it. I suggest looking up some block diagrams for simple digital filters and start to build them in Gen. It's surprisingly intuitive how Gen lets you recreate this kind of block diagram in a visually analogous way. Try it, it got me into it.
Unsound Designer

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:17 pm

stringtapper wrote:I just finished a class on delay-based signal processing that was done almost totally using Gen (and a little Csound). I never thought I could wrap my head around Gen either until I jumped right in.

Unfortunately the Gen documentation is not up to par with the rest of the Max documentation but they are working on it. I suggest looking up some block diagrams for simple digital filters and start to build them in Gen. It's surprisingly intuitive how Gen lets you recreate this kind of block diagram in a visually analogous way. Try it, it got me into it.
well. i pretty much suck at max/msp anyways, but yeah, i'm on it. :)
figured since it will be included in live 9 suite and i get to play with it now i have no excuses not to jump right in. but yeah, from what i've seen about gen it's pretty damn awesome, and the c-integration is just damned sexy at that.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:43 pm

As I understand it Gen is not included with M4L. You can run devices with Gen patches in them but won't be able to edit the Gen patchers unless you buy the extra Gen license.
Unsound Designer

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:58 pm

stringtapper wrote:As I understand it Gen is not included with M4L. You can run devices with Gen patches in them but won't be able to edit the Gen patchers unless you buy the extra Gen license.
Correct!

Cheers
D

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:49 pm

well.
that means that i should be paying 249 euros for an update with some few features, a half functional (and most likely almost obsolete soon) max for license 4 new or redesigned devices, some example devices and a new browser.
like that would happen..

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:07 pm

friend_kami wrote:well.
that means that i should be paying 249 euros for an update with some few features, a half functional (and most likely almost obsolete soon) max for license 4 new or redesigned devices, some example devices and a new browser.
like that would happen..
What? :?
Unsound Designer