Round robin simulator via velocity for triggering samples?

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
exaltron

Round robin simulator via velocity for triggering samples?

Post by exaltron » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:31 pm

I'm doing some drum sequencing using a Quneo and despite my best efforts to get a good velocity curve and using drums with many levels, I'm still getting awful repeats. I was thinking it would be cool to have a device that receives the note and velocity, but ensures that the same velocity doesn't go out twice in a row. Is this a reasonable thing to do in max for live?

The closest thing I found was this device which does the same thing but for notes, i.e., if you send C2, it will output a series of notes in round robin fashion until it exhausts the range you've defined. Seems like it would be easier to start from scratch than try to adapt it. This is what it looks like for reference:

Any clues on how to approach this would be much appreciated.

mothergarage

Re: Round robin simulator via velocity for triggering samples?

Post by mothergarage » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:22 am

Well your post pushed me to finally write a blogpost on programming Round Robin with Sampler ;)
home | sound | twitter | m4l
Windows 10 64bit - Live 11.0.6 - M4L 8 - RME Babyface/iConnectAUDIO4+

madlab

Post by madlab » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:44 pm

Using the [change] object on velocity could be enough. Or compare each velocity with the previous note's one and add/substract a fix or relative amount.
Aboard from V. 1
MBP M1 Pro 2021 - 16 Go RAM - Monterey 12.6.3
MBP 2.5 Ghz I7 16 Go SSD OSX 10.14
iPad + Mira+ TouchOsc
RME FF UC Live 11.3.21 M4L Max 8
Band : https://elastocat.org/
Madlab sound unit / objects, guitar, electronics / end_of_transmission

Michael Hatsis

Post by Michael Hatsis » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:02 am

Looks easy enough to switch that patch over to velocity.

Personally, I try to stay away from mfl as much as possible. For me, Really adds alot of weight to sets. Why dont you just use the random device? set random control to like 5-10 or something.

MIke

exaltron

Post by exaltron » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:44 am

mike@TrackTeam Audio wrote:Looks easy enough to switch that patch over to velocity.

Personally, I try to stay away from mfl as much as possible. For me, Really adds alot of weight to sets. Why dont you just use the random device? set random control to like 5-10 or something.

MIke
Thanks Mike, you're probably right. I just get obsessed with something and end up stalking her- I mean.. working on it for days and days even if it don't make sense.

trevox

Post by trevox » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:01 pm

exaltron wrote:I'm doing some drum sequencing using a Quneo and despite my best efforts to get a good velocity curve and using drums with many levels, I'm still getting awful repeats. I was thinking it would be cool to have a device that receives the note and velocity, but ensures that the same velocity doesn't go out twice in a row. Is this a reasonable thing to do in max for live?
If you send the velocity through a "zl change" object, the right output will send either a value of 0 or 1 depending on whether the input message has changed or not. If 1, it means the velocity is different and you should be okay. If 0, it means the same velocity has been sent and you can maybe trigger something within your patch to change it - could be as simple as adding 1 to the velocity. Note that you should strip the noteoff values before the "zl change" object first or this won't work.

infinitesinewave

Post by infinitesinewave » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:59 pm

I just got a Quneo myself. I didn't like the factory "sensitivity" either. It was terrible. However, the manual shows you how to change the sensitivity of the controls in the Quneo Editor. Try messing around with the settings. There is a suggestion in the manual that gives you settings for "light," "medium," or "heavy," tapping. I set mine to light and it did the trick. Download the Quneo manual and "search" "playing sytle"... it should pop up around page 30 or so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmCU7svjXg4