Like many of you I'm anxious to get my hands on Live 9.
However, I'm in this middle of working with some frustrating hacks in my JS interface to M4L for a large system I've built for my DJ set.
There are so many things I'd like to see in a true update to Max 4 Live, especially just a stability pass, some basic speedups to using many LiveAPI objects, and hopefully finally some new basic API, like:
- Jumping to an absolute position in a clip
- Editing / getting a clips info text so we don't need to encode meta data in clip names (easy one!)
- Access to the file path of the clip, and better the decoding cache location for the clip (so I can generate offline waveforms of my clips)
The upshot of this post is: Is anyone at Ableton, or a beta testing, or anyone at Cycling, willing to just let me know if:
* There will be any API improvements for M4L in Live 9
* There will ever be any API improvements or additions
I started this large project roughly around when M4L came out, and have remained a big fan of Live. However, I'm really starting to get frustrated with the lack of official, transparent information about what developer resources are on the API, and at which of the two companies. I understand both companies have other pressing items that affect more users, but as a developer myself who puts an enormous amount of time into this work, I'd love to have an answer to schedule my own time and reason about the decisions I am making on what systems to develop in.