Live 9/M4L Default Object Colors

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
stringtapper

Live 9/M4L Default Object Colors

Post by stringtapper » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:49 am

So M4L devices have default color and font schemes, right? It's been like this since it was first released and I was always cool with it and even preferred the look to the defaults in Max standalone. But with Live 9 the colors of the object boxes are getting on my nerves. It's two shades of gray and they are pretty hard for me to see.

So long story short: how can these defaults be modified? When you go to change the object defaults in Max's options menu you get the Max standalone colors, not the colors that M4L seems to magically default to. So there must be a preference file one can modify. Anyone know where it is?
Unsound Designer

stringtapper

Re: Live 9/M4L Default Object Colors

Post by stringtapper » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:08 pm

No one knows about this?

The default object colors are killing my eyes.

Anyone from Ableton? Christian??
Unsound Designer

triant

Post by triant » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:36 am

if you change the Live's color scheme, it will change the default color scheme of M4L as well. live's appearance prefs now also have the ability to adjust brightness and hue separately, so that may affect M4L as well though I haven't really experimented much with that.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:56 am

I'd also like to know...

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:21 pm

Christian Kleine…are you there…?
Unsound Designer

kleine

Post by kleine » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:21 am

So far there is no new color scheme which matches the Live 9 devices but of course you can simply copy the colors yourself (which is of course not as convenient).

triant

Post by triant » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:03 pm

i use a custom color/font scheme when using max standalone, and was disappointed to see that default-themed objects do not retain their original colors when being copied into M4L - only the objects whose appearance has been overridden.

so here's a +1 requesting support for custom default object theming in M4L (like we can do in max standalone)

and while we're at it, how about an officially supported ableton skin editor? ;)
neither the oldschool one nor the recent M4L-based one seem to work for me anymore.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:38 pm

no way to override this behavior? (please...)
:oops:

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:57 pm

The new default object colors are ok if they are against the new and darker background color of devices like the convolution reverb, but against the default M4L background color they become these gray-green "zombie" objects that my eyes can't deal with.

I say again… is there really no way to set these default object colors for M4L? And I'm not talking about a menu in Live. I'm talking about a hack. A .json file hiding somewhere perhaps?
Unsound Designer

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:51 pm

:x
Unsound Designer

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:04 pm

Unsound Designer

lowercase

Post by lowercase » Sun May 05, 2013 1:28 am

This is an extremely poor design decision in my opinion. The aesthetics that I want in a UI are vastly different than the aesthetics that I desire in a programming environment. I can change the way Live looks to make it easier to program in Max for me but then it looks hideous when I'm working with Live's UI. For example, I love the font choices in Windows 7 & Mac OS X but it would be horrid if I had to program in XCode / Visual Studio in C with the same font and it would be equally horrible to have to use your OS with your programming font of choice.

I'm thinking a temporary solution (until they fix this please!), is using Max's patch scripting to load a "Clipping" that you create that you can send a bang to that will default all the objects to a set color / font. But I'm not sure that will even affect new objects created afterward or not. I'm looking into it now.

It's just really not an optimal situation. When I'm programming in M4L I often use the --- naming convention but I have to squint at my screen just to make sure I have three -'s instead of two. That's no good. I shouldn't have to move my head closer to the screen while I'm typing lines of code just to make sure I'm not making a syntax error.

Not to be completely negative; I have to say I've been waiting for something like Max 4 Live and the new features in Live 9 for years and years now so I really can't be much happier with their releases!

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:55 am

This is still annoying me.

Unsound Designer