All times are UTC

Post subject: Max for Live and Live 8?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:32 am 

I was planning to get M4L and use it with Suite 8 but I just noticed that the system requirements for those M4L devices I was interested in (like Granulator II) have been changed on the Ableton website and now it seems I would have to upgrade to Live 9 in order to use them (?) Does it mean I will have access to fewer and fewer M4L devices made by other users if I decide to stay with Live 8?

Post subject: Re: Max for Live and Live 8?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:57 am 

szurcio wrote:
Does it mean I will have access to fewer and fewer M4L devices made by other users if I decide to stay with Live 8?

Inevitably, yes. As more and more users start using Live 9 and M4L (and thus Max 6.1) to make M4L devices the more devices are going to require Live 9 to run. Max 6 has new objects and even new internal coding environments like Gen that aren't available in Max 5. Max 6.1 brings even more features over Max 6.0 including 64-bit support. Many devices will be compatible between Max 5 and Max 6 versions of M4L because it's not imperative for developers to use the new Max 6 features in their devices, but the more people use those new Max 6 features the less this will be the case.

For better or worse it's the price of progress. The advancements in Max 6 make it worth it, IMO.

Post subject: Re: Max for Live and Live 8?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:46 am 

If they don't eventually add 6.1 support to Live 8. It's all about selling Live 9 now so when the sales slack off it may yet happen.

Most devices are still Max 5 compatible for now (the most notable exception being Granulator II) and Live 9 isn't discounted at the moment so IMO there's no rush to get Live 9 from a m4L perspective. Also, another Suite 9 upgrade discount in the next 12 months is practically inevitable. So again, no need to get in right now at a higher price.