new to MaxForLive? want to learn?

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
ned rush

new to MaxForLive? want to learn?

Post by ned rush » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:33 pm

i was considering a stream of videos going in depth into maxforlive aimed at people coming to it for the first time, what with clearly a lot of people going from suite 8 to 9. i bought maxforlive when it first came out and i am only just about getting to a stage where i am confident enough to sit down and make what i want.

just wondering if anyone is interested? what kinds of things would you want to know the most, coming to it for the first time? in terms of maxforlive, generally i see this as effects, instruments, midi ideas and api stuff (api is not my strength).

so chuck some ideas at me. if you havent seen any of my videos on ableton maybe check them out to get an idea of my screencast style (its not for everyone)

www.youtube.com/MrNedRush
:)

Timbeaux

Re: new to MaxForLive? want to learn?

Post by Timbeaux » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:49 pm

for instrument side: bulding first simple synth

for effect side: how to route and tweak audio material (maybe selfmade delay first)

Jabbon

Post by Jabbon » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:12 pm

most of these things are ready made and available in the max community, on youtube and many other places, I would want to see something more contemporary, like how to get video stream from youtube and generate audio material.
sound spatialization content & technologies @ audit-orium.com

ned rush

Post by ned rush » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:48 pm

Jabbon wrote:most of these things are ready made and available in the max community, on youtube and many other places, I would want to see something more contemporary, like how to get video stream from youtube and generate audio material.
that sounds like a cool idea, if a little advanced for people wanting to build a flanger.

Plus youre talking jitter. If ou have vizzable, get the grabbr device ad check out it's input options. If you get a program like CamTwist, you can use our desktop as a source and route that out internally of otherwise, potentially into grabbr, meaning you could stream YouTube into ableton. Where it goes from there I don't know. jit.catch~ for audio, and that device that reads rgb colours from video and spits them out as numbers.

I'm not jitter expert though.

Basically I like making crazy effects and fiddling around with numbers, in the maxforlive world that is.

Timbeaux

Post by Timbeaux » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:18 pm

ned rush wrote: what kinds of things would you want to know the most, coming to it for the first time?
thats why i stated the above. i knew there are some vids our there (learnMAX @ youtube).

An arpeggiator would be nice

Jabbon

Post by Jabbon » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:30 pm

true, you are right. any way
automodulating delay:

Signal gets split in 2, one is processing, one for signal modulation

1) Tapin tapout combination with signal driven time delays

2) feedback sends back to tap in and to average~ absolute mode and some signal smoothness to modulate the time of the delay

?

great for an arepggiator.

Scales could be implemented inside already.

A thing which I find extremely limiting on the normal Live arpeggiatopr is the style control

Let me know if you need some testing rat

ned rush

Post by ned rush » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:42 pm

I have actualy built a custom note entry arp, very basic using coll. It plays back the note in the order you put them in. Ableton does that anyway.

I think I'll just go ahead and make some videos regardless. Perhaps there aren't as many newcomers as I thought.

Jabbon

Post by Jabbon » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:50 pm

not yet, or maybe its time to excite the pack ;-)

artpunk

Post by artpunk » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:49 am

ned rush wrote:I have actualy built a custom note entry arp, very basic using coll. It plays back the note in the order you put them in. Ableton does that anyway.

I think I'll just go ahead and make some videos regardless. Perhaps there aren't as many newcomers as I thought.
I've had M4L for 6 months or so, but haven't had time to get into it yet. I would appreciate some videos. I'm interested in how M4L connects to and receives & sends information to different devices like a monome or Push. For example I see in User mode the push has no LED feedback, I'd love to see how to get that sort of thing happening.
:D

“... it was just to make an average listener go: ‘What the fuck is this?’ That’s a real inspiration for me and something that I will explore more on upcoming recordings.”
- Wally De Backer (Gotye) quoting Ween's intention behind making records

ned rush

Post by ned rush » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:05 pm

funken wrote:I would like to see a video series that starts from scratch, maybe working through the tutorials you get. But perhaps jumping to some advanced examples to illustrate a certain principle in action in a real device. I would be happy to help publicise something like that, and would put them on my site, assuming they explain things properly.
Cool.

ameree

Post by ameree » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:31 pm

Timbeaux wrote:
ned rush wrote: what kinds of things would you want to know the most, coming to it for the first time?
thats why i stated the above. i knew there are some vids our there (learnMAX @ youtube).

An arpeggiator would be nice
I think Ned and I complement each other quite nicely! (Seriously, we are good friends!)

Eric (aka learnmax aka erasermice)
www.erasermice.com - for M4L Live 8/9 multi-window tools!
multi-window and alternate view MaxForLive tools for Live 8 & 9
http://www.erasermice.com

revoltcrew

Post by revoltcrew » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:59 pm

How to control the 3d position of real time visuals without using the mouse, by using instead live dials/macromapped ... cheers.
100000greenCanaries are either violin0rGreen
http://sunfalls.org ||http://soundcloud.com/sunfalls || http://vimeo.com/sunfalls

ned rush

Post by ned rush » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:34 pm

revoltcrew wrote:How to control the 3d position of real time visuals without using the mouse, by using instead live dials/macromapped ... cheers.
Wow! Let's go.

I'm just wigging out to Hendrix live at the Albert Halll right now. It's not Woodstock but it's still sick!

ned rush

Post by ned rush » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:42 pm

revoltcrew wrote:How to control the 3d position of real time visuals without using the mouse, by using instead live dials/macromapped ... cheers.
Wow