Max for live device idea

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
Down8ch

Max for live device idea

Post by Down8ch » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:57 am

So I have this idea about a device that I can use to map the controls on an American Audio Radius 1000 CDJ and their matching mixer in midi mode to control various parameters in live in real time. Or any midi controller that resembles a dual platter/mixer combo. I also have a Launchpad from Novation. I watched some Youtube videos about mapping clips to trigger audio effects in its user 1 mode and I thought about using that but the way I understand it you can only affect one track at a time with that process and I guess the real idea is to be able to map any parameter of any number of tracks with a single midi controller. I know you can probably do it with multiple launchpads, but I'm currently working with only 1. If I'm missing something or this sort of functionality already exists, or if there is an M4L device out there that can accomplish what I'm trying to do please point me in the right direction.

Any help or advice is much appreciated! :mrgreen:

S4racen

Re: Max for live device idea

Post by S4racen » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:51 am

I'm just working on the live 9 version of Oktopad if you're looking for effects...

WWw.isotonikstudios.com

Cheers
D

Down8ch

Post by Down8ch » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:27 am

Well, I want to be able to manipulate more than just effects in real time. I actually just saw a vid for an M4L device called Kapture by Plastikman and Liine. I think they are onto something close to what I want to achieve

One of the concepts I'm trying to emulate is being able to perform a track using the turntable/mixer combo for effects and general mixing, a keyboard for synth lines, and the launchpad to fire off scenes at a time to manipulate in real time.

What fascinates me the most about Kapture is the ability to recall in an instant a point in your performance and be able to safely go back to that point without having to worry about mixing your way back to it

Is it even possible to midi map Ableton parameters to a variety of different midi controllers as opposed to just a bunch of launchpads?

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:05 am

Down8ch wrote:Is it even possible to midi map Ableton parameters to a variety of different midi controllers as opposed to just a bunch of launchpads?
...absolutely. A cursory google will show you a vast variety of different controller setups for Live.

What are you looking to do that is different from Kapture? Mixing with your turntable? Totally possible. Synth lines? Possible. Launching scenes with Launchpad? Again, easy stuff.

what I seem to be missing is what you are looking to do beside that. Because what you describe is pretty vanille Ableton Live.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

Down8ch

Post by Down8ch » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:42 pm

I did a little more brainstorming

I guess what I'm aiming for is complete tactile control for composing a tune on the fly. I have some ideas about a default template set up for a live set. Being able to generate a beat with some drum racks in launchpad's user 1 mode, mix in some spatial effects and chords with the keyboard, and then use kapture to snapshot. Repeat a few times until I have a solid theme goin and then repeat the process in my headphones so I can mix it back out to the crowd.

I suppose the main idea is to be able to compose a set of original material with a skeleton map on how I'm going to do it

Right now, I'm working on figuring out how to map some of the parameters to the Radius 1000's and solidifying my default template