All times are UTC

Post subject: what will fluency in Max yield?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:19 am 

I have been fooling around with Ableton for about a month and have familiarized myself with the program, and am now looking to get into Max. Let's say I take a break from playing around with ableton to go through all the Max tutorials and then dedicate however much time I need to becoming fairly profficient with Max. What will I have gained? Is it worth it? How often would I be using Max when producing through Ableton?

Basically I want to know how useful Max can be.

Post subject: Re: what will fluency in Max yield?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:01 pm 

it will allow to customise the flow of control data through the system, allow you to use anything that can communicate with a computer as a control source and with jitter and msp you can create novel audio and or visual instruments. However it takes a long time to learn. I would focus on just playing Live, making tracks, doing gigs, djing and as you do this reflect on what you'd like to do that isn't possible just through Live, max could well help you do that. On the other hand, if you spend the time now learning max you'll be able to make simple step sequencers, synths and audio mangling devices pretty quickly.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:43 pm 

In my view, if your prime interest is *making* music (and not making instruments), you don't need fluency in m4l

But I think it may help to know some of the most basic things.

For example, I recently encountered what seemed to be a bug in the M4L LFO. Turns out it was a setting. Getting into the editor, figuring out how to find the setting, and resetting it, and saving it (e.g. figuring out that the little snow crystal in the bottom of the M4L interface was for 'unfreezing' the device, allowing you to save settings, took hours.

live 9.1.2, OS mavericks, push, stray's script, MPD32/LD8, stc, access virus kc, but no elektron octatrack

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:41 pm 

I have been a Max programmer for 6 years...learning Max is what got me interested in other programming projects. From an Ableton Live perspective, learning Max will enable you to quickly come up with a solution whenever you encounter a "need" or "problem"...these could be workflow enhancements, small things in Live you can't stand and want to change, etc...I never spend time making complicated synths or anything in MAXMSP...most of my M4l creations are tiny modules that allow me to work better...this past week I encountered 3 things in Live/3rd party VST that were getting in the way and bothering me. I spent a total of 20 minutes on each M4L module and my problems are over (for now :] )...IMO, that's the biggest thing an investment in Max will give you: Control over things you didn't have control over before.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:40 pm 

It's the difference between DAW and DSP.

Learning Max is going to teach you fundamental concepts that relate to digital audio and synthesis.

Not a bad thing, depending on your interests, and actually someone previously recommended a text called Electronic Music and Sound Design which looks very helpful.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:39 am 

The official website of the aforementioned book:

http://www.virtual-sound.com/en/

Forum is not very active but the authors are there to answer serious questions and inform on errors in the first edition of the book.

The book will take you through the basics of dsp as it relates to max/msp actually focusing more on the max side of things for the most part in this first book and they made the decision to test the readers knowledge through technical challenge type exercises. They do not provide solutions to these as the goal is to think for yourself and come up with the best solution.

There are other sources of dsp technical knowledge online but this series plans to focus on max/msp and imo may be very helpful for users of live who like to tinker.

I have the book myself and plan to go through it when the winter kicks in! :P