Skinner box's "Sting" sequencer isn't saving presets

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
st1040

Skinner box's "Sting" sequencer isn't saving presets

Post by st1040 » Sat May 04, 2013 9:36 am

Hi, is it just me or has anyone else noticed that when you save presets with Skinner box's (excellent) "Sting" sequencer that they don't play back
the sequence you've saved ie. totally random notes.

Because789

Re: Skinner box's "Sting" sequencer isn't saving presets

Post by Because789 » Sat May 04, 2013 10:38 am

Yep, that is how Sting! is designed, random notes are generated every time the device is loaded. And I actually do like the idea of getting a surprise each time the set is loaded :) If I really, really wanna stick with a pattern I just record it to a clip.

Of course you could change this behavior for yourself. Make sure there is no bang sent to the random button when the device is loaded (watch out for "loadbang" or "live.thisdevice") and that everything needed is saved within the set (maybe this is already happening, can't check right now).
Live 9.5 (64bit), Max 7.0.6, Windows 10, Push 2, Korg electribe2, Bass Station II, Launch Control XL, Faderfox DJ3

M4L

st1040

Post by st1040 » Sat May 04, 2013 12:55 pm

Hi thanks for the reply, yes I usually record the clips like you suggest, question is what's the point of having presets and to be honest If I want a new random pattern I just press the smiley face :D
Still It's a great machine and many thanks to the guys who are skinnerbox for making such a cool device , unfortunately I haven't got into any programming of MAX devices yet so I cannot implement your
suggestions, but I can write it down and work it out If I start to program. Cheers.

Because789

Post by Because789 » Sun May 05, 2013 2:07 pm

st1040 wrote:question is what's the point of having presets
That is a legitimate question. Of course I can't answer for Skinnerbox, but since my 8 Knob Sequencer is based on Sting! and I adopted that behavior I can tell you about my thoughts on this topic.

The point of having presets is to get what you expect and there are tons of highly adjustable pattern generators out there which allow you just that. But the point of my device (and I think of Sting! the same way) is to run into the unexpected. I think of it as a device for live use in settings where I want to add some randomness. And for me the real magic of both devices kicks in when you start to adjust the pattern along with a track (for Sting! "Density" and "Lengh"; for 8KnobSeq "Steps", "Beats", "Loop start/lengh", "Low pitch"). Since the randomness and the live adjustment of the patterns to me are essential parts of the devices I never felt the need for saving a preset. Besides using it live going crazy along with a track while recording what I do into one large clip and picking out the good stuff afterwards is therefore my preferred way to work with this devices.
Live 9.5 (64bit), Max 7.0.6, Windows 10, Push 2, Korg electribe2, Bass Station II, Launch Control XL, Faderfox DJ3

M4L

ikeaboy

Post by ikeaboy » Mon May 06, 2013 12:43 pm

Sting is a really cool device, it took me a while to figure out it was really random amd not scrolling through a table of sequences because the sequences can be really good and I like to think I know my acid. Dangerous men!