Can someone explain the MIDI LFO to me?

Questions and discussion about building and using Max for Live devices
Matt_Quinn

Can someone explain the MIDI LFO to me?

Post by Matt_Quinn » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:35 pm

I'm not entirely sure what this thing is used for. I understand LFOs in general, but what does this one do that the regular one doesn't? Is it more designed for hardware?
the_planet wrote:Trap music is not supported in the current version.

greaterthanzero

Re: Can someone explain the MIDI LFO to me?

Post by greaterthanzero » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:08 am

If you're comparing the "LFO MIDI" vs "LFO" devices, LFO MIDI has some extra controls hiding behind a triangle on the right-hand side. I'm not 100% sure what they represent, to be honest, though there is a CC dropdown which is looks to be for controlling outboard gear.

birthday boy

Re: Can someone explain the MIDI LFO to me?

Post by birthday boy » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:14 am

The easiest key-control parameter to understand is Keytrack > Rate. This means that the higher you play on the keyboard, the faster the LFO rate will be. The lower you play, the slower. With free-running LFO, how high the Keytrack > Rate percent is determines how far the rate will deviate from your current rate setting; under sync mode, the Keytrack > Rate becomes the global rate - normal sync-rate has no effect and should be greyed out (there is a bug where it sometimes doesn't grey out though).

Understanding the above, the rest should be pretty straight-forward. In any case you are using MIDI control data to modulate the LFO itself - basically the same thing as physically moving the rate knob, or depth knob, only the MIDI is doing it for you.

Also, the retrigger option is nice (can't get that on an audio effect). Same thing as setting an Operators LFO to retrigger (so the phase starts over every time it gets a Note-On).

Speaking of the Operator, the Operator's LFO can do the same things as MIDI LFO with the Rate<Key, and Amt<Vel parameters.

Hope this helps!