Need some help to create simple max midi fx

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
incubator

Need some help to create simple max midi fx

Post by incubator » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:33 pm

For easy routing in Ableton want to build a MIDI effect that can take midi date from any channel or device (including to and from vst audio effects device) and sent to the instrument such as an operator. Took the first step used LiveAPI Choosers -> Browse.Devices. When you select a device he gives his ID and how to get midi out of the device can not understand. Please advise experienced people. How to do next?)

regretfullySaid

Re: Need some help to create simple max midi fx

Post by regretfullySaid » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:22 pm

Couldn't you just use a midi track to do that?
ImageImage

incubator

Post by incubator » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:11 am

shadx312 wrote:Couldn't you just use a midi track to do that?
Thank you for reply) I know about midi channels route. But I want to make a more compact and easy workspace. Midi need to get from 13 devices of audio channels and send to one midi channel.

incubator

Post by incubator » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:18 pm

Can anybody help? It's so difficult?)

jrs1

Post by jrs1 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:44 pm

As far as i know it is not possible to get the midi data from another track.

Instead you can only intercept it. This would mean you would need a M4L midi device on every single track you want to capture.

Each device would have a Send object with the same name.

You would then have a second M4L midi device that would receive this. You could place this device on the track you want the midi to go to.

I think this is the only way to do it, but maybe i'm missing something/information. It sounds like my solution would not actually be so useful for your workflow idea.

greaterthanzero

Post by greaterthanzero » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:18 pm

Sharing data between max for live devices introduces a significant but unpredictable amount of latency (meaning, it's not something you can buffer against). Depending on your needs, it might still be acceptable. I got away with it here:
http://vimeo.com/channels/gtz/12192331
http://vimeo.com/channels/gtz/12388630

If timing is important and you're on Mac, you can search for the Leigh Cook externals, which share MIDI across devices much faster, but make your app harder to distribute.

The lower-level [udpsend] and [udpreceive] objects are also very fast, but there's more of a learning curve. And there's a danger of lost packets leading to stuck notes.

I posted a simple example here, if you're interested:
http://monome.org/community/discussion/ ... -over-udp/
(thus far, no one has been)

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:14 pm

yeah, I can't see any way of doing that better than having a midi-generating plugin on each audio track, and then having 13 corresponding midi tracks with the input set to that plugin, and then funneling all those tracks to that one midi track you want to control.

Mind you, you can group and collapse that stack of tracks, but it's still ugly.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.