function of bundled lfo midi vs lfo device?

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
salatspinatra

function of bundled lfo midi vs lfo device?

Post by salatspinatra » Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:47 pm

Hi!
What distinction would you make, if any, between the lfo midi and the lfo devices that come bundled with 9? They both:
  • can take over audio signal flow parameters or midi parameters. You can use the regular lfo to control an envelope dial, and the midi lfo to control a send, up to you.
    are presumedly transparent when placed in-line in a device chain, just one precedes sound generation with midi and the other sits in the stream.
    have the same cpu footprint when on
Only thing I can think of is you can't put a midi device in an audio track, so you'd want an audio effect in that case. Any other rule of thumb/application that I am overlooking? Can you use the midi lfo to control incoming note data, say velocity scaling?
Cheers!

greaterthanzero

Re: function of bundled lfo midi vs lfo device?

Post by greaterthanzero » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:50 pm

Take this with a grain of salt, as I'm largely making it up, but...

MIDI version has additional controls in a foldaway panel, allowing for incoming MIDI signals to affect parameters. (this is different from mapping the knobs, and presumably better somehow) Audio version won't have those, and is probably more resource efficient for not trying to use them when they aren't applicable.