Track still recording aftertouch with M4L filtering it out

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
patrickstinson

Track still recording aftertouch with M4L filtering it out

Post by patrickstinson » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:36 pm

I was getting performance problems (clicking/popping like high CPU) when sending aftertouch data from Push to an instrument rack with multiple chains, so I created the following device to filter it out:

And now I'm not getting clicks and pops when I play any more. However, when I arm the track and record midi I can hear the poor performance in the instrument rack again. Then when I play back the midi clip it plays without aftertouch.

Why are the aftertouch messages passing into the instrument when the track is armed and recording?
Web | Mobile | Audio
http://vedanamedia.com/

greaterthanzero

Re: Track still recording aftertouch with M4L filtering it out

Post by greaterthanzero » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:35 am

I'm not at my Live computer, but here's a simple test:

Create a track. Place an arpeggiator on it. Arm the track. Record something. Examine the clip data.

As a visualization exercise... MIDI flows in sort of an "L" shape, from clips down to clips, and across effects to an instrument. I believe your controller enters the track above the clips, and you're recording them at that stage, prior to hitting the effects or your instrument.

If that's correct, your solution is to add an extra MIDI track w/ only your aftertouch remover on it. Set that track's input to be your MIDI controller, and turn monitoring ON. Then set your instrument track's input to grab the output of your m4l track (instead of from your MIDI controller).

Something along those lines...

(and you shouldn't have to filter @poly out, 'cause Live already discarded that info)

3dot...

Re: Track still recording aftertouch with M4L filtering it out

Post by 3dot... » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:42 am

it shouldn't occur...
even though the AT IS recorded to the clip (MIDI/Audio clips record to the clip before fx processing)...
it shouldn't reach the instrument if filtered out before...