Troubleshoot 'undo'

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
jomtones

Troubleshoot 'undo'

Post by jomtones » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:32 pm

I have a step sequencer I'm using live with my drummer but it's generating unwanted 'undo' history - I'm not sure why or which part of the device is generating it. Is there any way to troubleshoot the device to track down the culprit?

Thanks

(Device is too long to post here so I've added it here: http://pastebin.com/n8eL7XvF)

rev_engineer

Re: Troubleshoot 'undo'

Post by rev_engineer » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:45 pm

I had that too - a device I made was totally overloading the undo buffer. Turned out it was parameters I was continually modulating within the device via other Max objects - I had 16 [live.gain] faders rapidly ramping up and down via [line] objects. The faders constantly shifting positions were sending the undo buffer crazy. In the end I hid them from Live so they can't be automated but I got my Undo back.

Could you set your sequencer going then look at the Undo option in the menu and see what parameter it says (eg, 'undo change in "deviceName") to get some idea of what the culprit is?

jomtones

Re: Troubleshoot 'undo'

Post by jomtones » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:07 pm

Thanks - so many devices in there I'm not sure what it's talking about even when I read the 'Undo' ... I was hoping the Max troubleshooting tools might be able to help? I've never figured them out! :|