Display note on Ableton Push

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
guillaume82

Display note on Ableton Push

Post by guillaume82 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:27 pm

Hello all,

I would like to build a Max For Live MIDI effect showing the note played on the Ableton Push screen - that would make getting comfortable with the isometric keyboard much easier.

It is easy to have a M4L MIDI effect displaying the note in an object, but does anyone know how I can have the object display on the Ableton Push screen? I have tried to enable parameter mode but this does not help.

Thanks a lot!

dataf1ow

Re: Display note on Ableton Push

Post by dataf1ow » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:58 pm

guillaume82 wrote:Hello all,

I would like to build a Max For Live MIDI effect showing the note played on the Ableton Push screen - that would make getting comfortable with the isometric keyboard much easier.

It is easy to have a M4L MIDI effect displaying the note in an object, but does anyone know how I can have the object display on the Ableton Push screen? I have tried to enable parameter mode but this does not help.

Thanks a lot!
There are a few different ways to do this.
The easiest, at least from my pov, is to create a M4L device that takes midi in to a midiparse object, and takes the note output (sans velocity, use an unpack) and throws it into a live.dial (or live.slider) that has its unit style set to MIDI, and have that device in focus when you're playing. It will show up as the first parameter on your Push when you're in Device Mode (I'm not at my push at the moment, so I may be saying the wrong thing there).

This would take literally a minute to make, and you wouldn't have to go through the huge ordeal of grabbing the display vis the API and formatting the lines.

To get polyphony it would be a little more complicated, but also doable.

Hope this helped.

-E

guillaume82

Re: Display note on Ableton Push

Post by guillaume82 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:20 pm

Thanks a lot - I had made a similar device but didn't think of using a live.dial rather than a standard object as output.
I'll definitely try that - many thanks for the tip.