Additional button - is it possible?

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
clydesdale

Re: Additional button - is it possible?

Post by clydesdale » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:52 am

Maybe try this:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzptcH ... sp=sharing

I added an Exclusive Trigger button to the TriggerPlay device-- it maps just like your Trigger. The button should stop all the other tracks except when it's own track stop button is flashing in which case it should retrigger and not stop other tracks. This should allow you to exclusivly trigger a single track, or multiple tracks as long as you press their exclusive trigger buttons before your quantization time. I'm not sure how it will work with your tracks that don't have clips in the clip slot. Give it a try and let me know how it goes.
LIVE 9.1.7 x64, PUSH w/PXT, APC40, KEYSTATION PRO88, Radium61
Win8.1 Pro, 4820k(4.5GHz)/32GB/840ProSSD/RME Babyface

cezik

Post by cezik » Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:20 pm

Hmm now it works like this:

- All the 8 clips are playing. Now I press "Exclusive Trigger" on track 4, 5 and 6. Only track 4 is playing (because it was hit first) and the rest stops.

So there is a minor improvement - not all the clips stops and the one that was pressed first is playing solo.

So now the only thing is to force Live to "remember" the sequence on which tracks "Exclusive Trigger" was pressed so that Live would know that it shouldn't stop those clips and only stop the one that were NOT pressed.

I also think it would be practical if it would also Trigger the clips if they are NOT playing. So for example:

- Only clips 1,2 and 6 are playing. Now what I want to do is to SOLO clip 3 (which is stopped). Now if I would hit "Exclusive Trigger" on track 3 it would just stop all the other clips that are playing (which is OK) but it wouldn't start clip 3. That is why I called it "Reversed Toggle" because the function should not only work on the clips that are playing but also have an impact on the clips that are NOT playing. Hope I made it clear enough :)

clydesdale

Post by clydesdale » Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:39 pm

Damn, my test clips were in Trigger mode not Toggle mode, that's the problem. I'm trying to have each track check whether or not an exclusive trigger has occurred so that they don't try to stop the other clips. I can also have the first track using the exclusive trigger also launch it's own clip. Your explanation is clear I just need to make my test setup match yours.

clydesdale

Post by clydesdale » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:54 pm

Here's the problem at the moment. When in toggle mode, I can't find a function that will cancel a stop action. Strangely enough you can cancel a clip launch with a stop but you can't cancel a stop with a clip launch.

cezik

Post by cezik » Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:30 pm

In that case maybe it may be some kind of solution:

- Pushing the "Exclusive Trigger" on each track would be memorized in some kind of bank and just before the bar passes it would SOLO the clips that were memorized. It would have to be very fast so it "releases" the memorized action in miliseconds just before the bar passes.

It is just my simple assumption because I don't really know if there is a possibility like that in M4L...

clydesdale

Post by clydesdale » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:52 pm

I was considering something like that too. I also looked and modifying the clip follow actions but those don't seem to be accessible from max.

cezik

Post by cezik » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:15 pm

According to this video I guess it may be possible: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPE0hGdvv_I

clydesdale

Post by clydesdale » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:32 pm

Yes, I watched that video too. It's not using the follow actions directly but rather setting a button value based on the selected action in the m4l device itself. That may work. I'm also looking at using the 2nd scene launch button combined with "add stop button" and "remove stop button" in the 2nd scene clip slots.

clydesdale

Post by clydesdale » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:30 pm

I have a way that might work using ClyphX. The device link is below. What you need to do is add a locater just before the very end of your looped arrangement, beat 4 is probably as close as you can go to the end. It should trigger the 2nd scene using the ClyphX X-Cue "[1] SCENE 2". Does that make sense? What the M4L device does is selectively add or remove stop buttons from the scene 2 clip slots that will trigger when the scene launches. It also detects the launch and then removes the stop buttons until the next exclusive trigger. Give it a try and let me know, it's the best I could come up with given some of the restrictions on the M4L functions.

A couple of things to watch out for:

- Beware that any stop button in the second clip slot will stop the track once the scene 2 launch fires, you might get a mis-fired measure until it resets if you're not careful.
- you can't put the locator much past beat 4 as it doesn't seem to work very well based on my testing.
- I heard some very slight delay phasing on my test setup when running 8 identical clips, probably less than a millisecond though. It shouldn't be much of a problem with 8 different clips.
- I could also make a Reset All button that removes all the stop buttons-- in case of a mis-fired exclusive trigger.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzptcH ... sp=sharing

cezik

Post by cezik » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:54 pm

Ok. To be honest I've never used ClyphX and I am just reading about it for the first time. But I see it is conntected to making some locators in Arragment View... for me it is a dead end because I am making clips on the fly and they are totally independent on Arrangment View. Sometimes one clip is 4 bars long and the other is only 1 bar long. I would need to put the locator everytime in a different position which in my case is impossible. Also triggering another clips in second slot makes things pretty crazy because I have everything mapped very carefully to different buttons. And if the clips are getting duplicated it all starts to be pretty messed up :)

clydesdale

Post by clydesdale » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:43 am

There aren't any clips in the scene 2 slots. Rather I use the stop buttons very much the same as the stop buttons used for the track, except that they are selectively enabled. It also doesn't require scene 2, it can be any unused scene row. There aren't any additional mapping requirements either other than the exclusive trigger buttons.

If I correctly recall how you have your set laid out, you can just have the arrangement view set to loop on a single measure with a locator on beat 4. If your global quantization is one bar you still only have that much time to do an exclusive trigger anyway. All the locator does is generate a quantized reference. We could probably do the same reference from within Max but it was beyond me to do that right now.

Installing and using ClyphX is really simple. You just put the ClyphX folder in the Ableton\Remote MIDI Scripts folder and then enable it as a control surface-- you'd need to use one of your six slots though.

I understand your need for reliability too and this solution isn't necessarily optimal but at the moment this is what I was able to make work. Give it a try running one of your normal sets sometime and see what you get.

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:29 am

i don't have the time to patch it, but the solution is to delay the stop action to the very last moment.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

cezik

Post by cezik » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:16 pm

@chapelier fou - that looks like the best idea so far. But is there a function that will delay any action to the very last moment before the last beat passes?

@clydesdale - I installed everything, set ClyphX as Control Surface, add the locator at the last beat of my 1 bar loop in Arragment View. There is a Scene 2 below Scene 1 because I need it for my other purposes but all the slots in Loop Tracks are empty (besides the slots in Scene 1 where are record my Loop Clips on the fly so I need Stop Buttons there).

Now for example if I hit the Exclusive Trigger button on Track 4 it will just add the Stop Buttons to all the Tracks in Scene 2 except the Stop Button in Track 4... it doesn't stop any clips, it just add and remove the stop clips. And now if all the Stop Buttons are added now the Exclusive Trigger do absolutely nothing... and it doesn't matter if I add the locator or don't.

clydesdale

Post by clydesdale » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:19 am

It's hard coded to scene 2 at the moment. Can you give me an unused scene?

cezik

Post by cezik » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:28 am

What do you mean by "give me an unused scene"?