Dub Machines

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
Dr Dub

Re: Dub Machines

Post by Dr Dub » Sat May 17, 2014 7:28 pm

Just wanted to say that i realy like them and they will probably end up in my Template.

Thanks.
Live Suite 9 - MBPR 15 - NI Komplete Audio 6 - Push - Brain - Hands - Melodica

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Sun May 18, 2014 3:25 pm

Damn fine devices!

Cheers
D

dave dove

Post by dave dove » Sat May 31, 2014 9:09 am

Some more stuff on Surreal Machines’ Dub Machines:
http://youtu.be/3Zhoa71oqiw
This can be used with any samples – obviously
And is a quick and dirty method for lazy people like myself
This:
https://soundcloud.com/reflektor-6n6p/freeroish
is a quick run through of ideas for a gig next month
all sounds have either been pre-processed with Dub Machines
and/or have them inserted on tracks
and/or sent to fx busses
This adds a lot of dirt into the spaces
And, for me, negates the need for reverbs

dave

pskept

Post by pskept » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:15 pm

i'm really enjoying these devices. well worth the money. thanks for the interview link sigabort. inspiring stuff.

nielsen

Post by nielsen » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:00 pm

I'm interested in these devices...I wonder if Surreal's Dub Machines emulate repitch/pitch drop-like effects that you could do with the old tape machines like the infamous roland's re201. Maybe someone who already own the Dub Machines can answer that, please?

I listended to the youtube demo with the visuals but still wasn't quite sure about that...

Thanks in advance

stkr

Post by stkr » Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:14 pm

Hi nielsen, sorry for lateness of reply.

Yes, both devices emulate the time delay dial interpolation re-pitch behaviour of hardware units. This was a key factor in our tech spec.

With high 'Intensity' values and low 'Repeat' times you can also get quite fine grained control over the effect in the saturated feedback loop.

In the 'Magnetic' device this has an even wider application as each 'Character' mode produces a slightly different delay-ramping dial behaviour and different trap filter engagement (and therefore different pitch response) to fit with the various hardware styles they represent.

I hope this info answers your question.

Thanks,
Pete .

tecolo

Post by tecolo » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:57 am

If you are in to vintage tape delays/analog echo these are in my opinion best you can find. They beat countless tape delay emulations even the most expensive VST ones (yes i do have them or tried many of these - even DSP ones). In short if you are for tape delay and esoteric vintage stuff such as beautiful self oscillation and good sounding reverb Dub Machines are for you. They can be used as bus tape warming tools as well. Really they are great and musical i mean totally. While i am not finding Diffuse as a replacement for real world spaces it is great as non standard esoteric reverb but can be used as a delay - you need to try it and to learn it.

All in all well worth the money. Thankfully developers of these do have good ears...

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:29 am

tecolo wrote:If you are in to vintage tape delays/analog echo these are in my opinion best you can find. They beat countless tape delay emulations even the most expensive VST ones (yes i do have them or tried many of these - even DSP ones).
Have you had the opportunity to compare any of the software emulations with modern hardware emulations like the Boss RE-20 Space Echo pedal?

jbodango

Post by jbodango » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:57 am

Easily in my top 5 for verb/delay. So much wicked fun.

tecolo

Post by tecolo » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:41 am

oblique strategies wrote:
tecolo wrote:If you are in to vintage tape delays/analog echo these are in my opinion best you can find. They beat countless tape delay emulations even the most expensive VST ones (yes i do have them or tried many of these - even DSP ones).
Have you had the opportunity to compare any of the software emulations with modern hardware emulations like the Boss RE-20 Space Echo pedal?
No i did not compared it to Boss RE-20 but i had Boss effect at once(actually i had Roland RE hardware (more various units) so i am well used to that sound). Boss effect is no doubt pretty good (i compared it to real hardware back then) if you are looking for classic RE sound but keep in mind it isn't versatile as much as DubMachine is - while Dub machine is retaining that classic RE character and can cover you a lot more since it does have various type of configurations and reverb types. It all depends what you need? If you are guitar player or you just need on stage Roland Tape RE effect - Boss will do it. If you are in studio and want RE sound DubMachines will do the trick and a few more.

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:46 pm

Thank you for the info

nielsen

Post by nielsen » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:30 pm

stkr wrote:Hi nielsen, sorry for lateness of reply.

Yes, both devices emulate the time delay dial interpolation re-pitch behaviour of hardware units. This was a key factor in our tech spec.

With high 'Intensity' values and low 'Repeat' times you can also get quite fine grained control over the effect in the saturated feedback loop.

In the 'Magnetic' device this has an even wider application as each 'Character' mode produces a slightly different delay-ramping dial behaviour and different trap filter engagement (and therefore different pitch response) to fit with the various hardware styles they represent.

I hope this info answers your question.

Thanks,
Pete .
Thank you for the info... I purchased them some weeks ago and I am very happy with both devices. Looking forward to your next projects...

Regards

Zenovdb

Post by Zenovdb » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:48 pm

Hi,
First of all I have to say I love the sound and effects generated by the dub machines! But I'm running into some problems: when I insert a dub machine into a track Ableton slows down excessively, stuttering meters etc. which is fixable by restarting Ableton. The CPU load also remains around 15% even when doing nothing.
But recently the dub machines sometimes don't have an output signal anymore on settings which worked fine before...
I'm running an i7 machine with 16gb and am used to working with loads of tracks and effects but I have never experienced problems like the ones mentioned above, although I do love the sound I'm thinking of uninstalling this pack... :(

tecolo

Post by tecolo » Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:25 pm

Zenovdb wrote:Hi,
First of all I have to say I love the sound and effects generated by the dub machines! But I'm running into some problems: when I insert a dub machine into a track Ableton slows down excessively, stuttering meters etc. which is fixable by restarting Ableton. The CPU load also remains around 15% even when doing nothing.
But recently the dub machines sometimes don't have an output signal anymore on settings which worked fine before...
I'm running an i7 machine with 16gb and am used to working with loads of tracks and effects but I have never experienced problems like the ones mentioned above, although I do love the sound I'm thinking of uninstalling this pack... :(
It could be anything really. I have almost same spec machine like you have. But first thing first if you have these guys help you out you need to tell your exact system spec. What version of live you are running and what version of M4Live you are running?