M4L Stability (POLL)

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.

M4l crashes randomly to desktop when either loading a device or changing parameter on device

M4l is stable for me & i use windows
21%
M4l is stable for me & i use osx
28%
M4l crashes as described & i use windows
23%
M4l crashes as described & i use osx
11%
M4L crashes but not as described above
18%

Total votes: 101

musikmachine

Re: M4L Stability (POLL)

Post by musikmachine » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:50 pm

That's interesting, which version? Anything else different with the config and prefs?

Macrostructure

Post by Macrostructure » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:58 pm

Interesting and a shame to see this. I stopped using MFL in 2010 because of these issues.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:23 pm

Rosko wrote:OK regarding convolution reverb. I tried it & i could not get it to load at all just crashes every time. I remember i have tried this plug before & it has worked so i try & load an earlier version of live & its now working, not a single crash so far. In fact no crashes of any max device so far. I will test as much as i can using as many max devices as possible over the next week.
It's admirable that you are doing so much work. W/o ableton being involved (all of us opening tickets) there is no way for them to get the message.

Michael Hatsis

Post by Michael Hatsis » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:57 am

Macrostructure wrote:Interesting and a shame to see this. I stopped using MFL in 2010 because of these issues.
^^This. It's a bit better w Live 9 but still not something I can rely on...

Opening previous sets and mapped parameters get lost or switched - or even the state of the Mfl device has changed for some reason
Also, when it crashes Live, or Live just crashes, the auto recovery lots of times does not recover certain mfl device settings
When updating Max and or Ableton stuff gets wierd.
General stability is flakey at best

Also, there is no guarantee that if I open up a set -say a year from now, or using a later version of Live ( ie like 10+ ) , will it be/sound the same as I left off? probably not.

For all these reasons I stay the hell away from it. When the MFL splash screen pops up it should say "use at your own risk"

Mike

bakku

Post by bakku » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:12 am

convolution reverb pro uses too many CPU resources, should ported to live.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:50 am

Do you think that is it? I'm just asking because I'll accept any reasonable answer.

I had a shitload of crashes tonight with stuff that had max. Discouraging because for a couple of days, things were moving along swimmingly. I was kinda boggin' on getting the old computer up and running to test it there. I'll be more diligent tomorrow I think. I'm wide awake (but have been drinking) right now and the smoke ain't doin' a damn thing (and my sleep meds are NOT working :x :x :x )

Trying not to over stimulate myself.......guess I'll start the installation process and maybe I'll snonker down.

XSIMan

Post by XSIMan » Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:17 am

Rock solid but some M4L plugins made by others are very unreliable and crash Live.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:28 am

a) specs

b) It's not rock solid here, and I'm griping constantly in ALL available arenas! :x

Rosko

Post by Rosko » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:55 pm

I'm still testing this. unfortunately there was no correlation between live versions, it seemed to be just coincidence. I'm starting to lean towards it being down to the way the individual devices are written. I only need one 100% stable device & one unstable to know for sure. Not easy as the crashes are so random & can go for days without a crash. If anyone knows of a device they think is specificity 100%stable post it here and i'll use it daily.

chris vine

Post by chris vine » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:40 am

Win 7 64bit
running live 9.1.4 x86
Max 6.1.7 x86

crashing on various 3rd party M4L devices

tecolo

Post by tecolo » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:38 am

I've had enough of it...i have project 30 days old. I could open it 8 out of 10 times. I opened it yesterday perfectly. Today i can't open it. Simply it won't load anymore. Live crash on opening. I know it does have m4l devices inside. Projects without m4l open perfectly. I will repeat, yesterday i opened it PERFECTLY, did not saved anything. Nothing. No changes. I did not changed anything on my machine. Nothing. And no i don't have any automatic updates on any software. This is ridiculous..

I am going to sell it as i can not work on music that way..I'll find another solution..

Rosko

Post by Rosko » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:02 am

They are working on it so I suggest everyone report these crashes. The more people that do this the quicker it may be resolved. One work around is to increase your audio buffer to 1024 b4 opening the project. Any serious projects I now remove m4l b4 saving.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:57 pm

tecolo wrote:I've had enough of it...i have project 30 days old. I could open it 8 out of 10 times. I opened it yesterday perfectly. Today i can't open it. Simply it won't load anymore. Live crash on opening. I know it does have m4l devices inside. Projects without m4l open perfectly. I will repeat, yesterday i opened it PERFECTLY, did not saved anything. Nothing. No changes. I did not changed anything on my machine. Nothing. And no i don't have any automatic updates on any software. This is ridiculous..

I am going to sell it as i can not work on music that way..I'll find another solution..
I agree. BTW, something I learned to do with projects that won't load is when you open your first template (assuming it doesn't have any M4L stuff) is disable the audio engine and then open the project. You can at least open the project and work with it again (usually it doesn't just crash when you turn the audio engine on)

tecolo

Post by tecolo » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:31 am

Well...my assumption that software which is more then several years in the making should be at least so stable that i could open projects on which i am working on - was wrong

Just what i reported above (crashing project) - is again loading fine. Did not changed anything. Literally. Two hours later it opens fine.

I've sold my license and i am getting out of this. I don't have time to send numerous crash logs, test someone elses creations and whatnot (last year i've reported several m4l Ableton device bugs which where confirmed to me by ableton staff - most of them still have same issues)

Good luck to all of you with this issues...

f.poce@tiscali.nl

Post by f.poce@tiscali.nl » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:13 am

Probably very good news here from the Ableton development team as you can read in 9.1.6 release notes:

"Fixed a crash that could occur under certain conditions when loading Live sets containing a large amount of VST plug-ins and Max for Live devices."

https://www.ableton.com/en/articles/liv ... ase-notes/

Greets
Fab//J74
http://fabriziopoce.com