Live.step timing....

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
jonbenderr

Live.step timing....

Post by jonbenderr » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:37 am

I was wondering if anyone had any techniques to play around with the live.step objects timing.

I've been using metro @ inverval @ quantize at various ticks and rates, but there is always a slight delay in the first note out in relation to the launch of ableton's transport. For most applications this would be fine, but what I'm working on, it really goofs things up.

Was wondering if anyone had any suggestions to get a little more freedom with this.

lqud009

Re: Live.step timing....

Post by lqud009 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:25 pm

maybe you tried the "plugsync" Object?

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:48 am

I'm trying to make a variable step length sequencer in live as well. I've never had much luck with metro for exactly the reason's you are describing. a different approach is used in the polyrythm device (part of the standard suite 9 install). An interval is set as notevalues and then converted to ticks, meanwhile a transport device is used to report on the tick count of live's transport. A modulo (%) object is fed this tick count and everytime another interval's worth of ticks goes by it sends out a signal - which could be converted to a bang for advancing a counter based step sequencer.

jonbenderr

Post by jonbenderr » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:22 pm

I've goofed off with plugsync~ quite a bit. Seems to yield almost the same results.

Will have to check out this polyrythym device. Despite having live 9 suite for a while now, don't think I've seen it.

It would be nice if there was a way to start any sort of sync/sequence method slightly before live.

What I might end up doing is delaying output from live.step by slightly under a bar or half bar, then retrigger and reset to hit slightly before the mark. I already have that figured out for the most part. I just always worry about the user (myself mostly lol) being frustrated with caveats like this.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:19 pm

In the patcher inspector, there is a parameter called Defined Latency. Enter the desired negative value in ms.

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:16 pm

good knowledge

jonbenderr

Post by jonbenderr » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:27 pm

No effect from defined latency.

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:04 am

I discovered yesterday that converting durations into ms (rather than ticks or note values) seemed to help metro stay on time when it's rate is being modulated. Worked for me anyway