Max 7

Questions and discussion about building and using Max for Live devices
S-N-S
Posts: 267
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:22 am
Location: denmark
Contact:

Re: Max 7

Post by S-N-S » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:29 pm

any one know what the upgrade price from m4l 6 to m4l 7 might be??

stringtapper
Posts: 6273
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:21 pm

Re: Max 7

Post by stringtapper » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:30 pm

S-N-S wrote:any one know what the upgrade price from m4l 6 to m4l 7 might be??
As far as I've ever been able to tell (I've always been both a Live and full Max user, never only a M4L user) it doesn't work as an upgrade to M4L but rather that M4L gets updated when there's a new version of Live.

That's how it happened with the move from Live 8 to Live 9 anyway.

They still might make a Live 9.2 that is updated to be officially compatible with Live 7 though.
Unsound Designer

Hervé
Posts: 413
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2004 5:13 am
Contact:

Re: Max 7

Post by Hervé » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:55 pm

stringtapper wrote:
S-N-S wrote:any one know what the upgrade price from m4l 6 to m4l 7 might be??
As far as I've ever been able to tell (I've always been both a Live and full Max user, never only a M4L user) it doesn't work as an upgrade to M4L but rather that M4L gets updated when there's a new version of Live.

That's how it happened with the move from Live 8 to Live 9 anyway.

They still might make a Live 9.2 that is updated to be officially compatible with Live 7 though.
It's already official supported from the Cycling 74 side
https://cycling74.com/shop/select-crossgrade/

Muze
Posts: 168
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:01 am

Re: Max 7

Post by Muze » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:38 pm

Hervé wrote:
stringtapper wrote:
S-N-S wrote:any one know what the upgrade price from m4l 6 to m4l 7 might be??
As far as I've ever been able to tell (I've always been both a Live and full Max user, never only a M4L user) it doesn't work as an upgrade to M4L but rather that M4L gets updated when there's a new version of Live.

That's how it happened with the move from Live 8 to Live 9 anyway.

They still might make a Live 9.2 that is updated to be officially compatible with Live 7 though.
It's already official supported from the Cycling 74 side
https://cycling74.com/shop/select-crossgrade/
That's the crossgrade to the full Max - what if you still just want M4L but version 7?

stringtapper
Posts: 6273
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:21 pm

Re: Max 7

Post by stringtapper » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:03 am

It doesn't exist. That's what I was saying earlier. You either my Max 7 standalone and use it with Live 9 like many of us did with Max 6 and Live 8, or you wait until Ableton release either Live 10 or a smaller update to Live 9 that brings official compatibility.

"Official compatibility" in this case mostly means being able to use Max 7 as your M4L editor without owning Max 7 standalone.
Unsound Designer

Jeffromusic
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:36 am

Re: Max 7

Post by Jeffromusic » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:09 am

Anyone know how to load up the new M4L patches in Ableton??

ansolas
Posts: 379
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:01 pm
Location: Earth ~ Europe ~ Germany ~ Cuxheaven

Re: Max 7

Post by ansolas » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:17 am

So if Ableton do not upgrade Max for live we are forced to cross grade to be able to use devices created with Max 7 ?!

Valiumdupeuple
Posts: 1046
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 12:36 pm
Contact:

Re: Max 7

Post by Valiumdupeuple » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:21 am

Jeffromusic wrote:Anyone know how to load up the new M4L patches in Ableton??
I didn't test recently, but during the beta testing we had to grab them from within the the max7 application package.
ansolas wrote:So if Ableton do not upgrade Max for live we are forced to cross grade to be able to use devices created with Max 7 ?!
Ableton will upgrade to Max7 sooner or later.

dave dove
Posts: 95
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:25 pm
Location: Mid-Wales

Re: Max 7

Post by dave dove » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:40 pm

on mac they in:
Applications/Max/Contents/Resources/C74/packages/Max For Live

dave

joeyfivecents
Posts: 545
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 3:18 am
Location: Augusta, GA USA
Contact:

Re: Max 7

Post by joeyfivecents » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:42 am

Max 7 even has a pitch correction Max For Live device. Works great.
iMac, MacBook Pro, Live Suite, Reason, Logic Pro, Melodyne, FL Studio, iConnect Audio4+, Little Martin, ukelele, Fender Jaguar, pedalboard, amps, mics .
http://www.soundcloud.com/gradynickel

stringtapper
Posts: 6273
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:21 pm

Re: Max 7

Post by stringtapper » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:24 pm

Some official word here:

https://cycling74.com/forums/topic/max- ... atibility/

(The guy highlighted in blue [Jeremy] is a Cycling 74 employee)
Unsound Designer

regretfullySaid
Posts: 8913
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:50 pm

Re: Max 7

Post by regretfullySaid » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:52 pm

Has anyone gotten the M4L7 devices to show up in the browser? My thought is is that after changing the Max path in Lives preferences and restarting Live, then the new M4L devices should show up in the browser but they aren't there.

EDIT: Ok, well in the meantime I added the folder path to Lives browser. On windows it's
C:\Program Files\Cycling '74\Max 7\resources\packages\Max for Live
info for Mac users https://cycling74.com/forums/topic/max- ... l-devices/

Presets aren't working though :(

I'm liking the Chamberverb so far :)
ImageImage

stringtapper
Posts: 6273
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:21 pm

Re: Max 7

Post by stringtapper » Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:11 pm

shadx312 wrote:My thought is is that after changing the Max path in Lives preferences and restarting Live, then the new M4L devices should show up in the browser but they aren't there.
No, because that content is installed with the M4L packs instead of with the installation of the Max app itself. All that path preference does is change which application Live looks to as its M4L editor when the edit button is clicked on a M4L device.
Unsound Designer

regretfullySaid
Posts: 8913
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:50 pm

Re: Max 7

Post by regretfullySaid » Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:15 pm

Yeah :(

But you know what I mean from a user standpoint. It should be set and forget. If I'm picking M4L7 as my host, then include that content automatically in the browser. A no-brainer imo, but I understand it's too early as it seems Max 7 itself still has some quirks to fix, and it won't be officially supported until a later version anyway. But for Max 7 owners the upgrade price is 149 and if I wasn't already an owner I find the annual subscription model attractive. Of course, you should only pay for the ~4 years until it's paid off.
ImageImage

stringtapper
Posts: 6273
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:21 pm

Re: Max 7

Post by stringtapper » Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:25 pm

shadx312 wrote:But you know what I mean from a user standpoint. It should be set and forget. If I'm picking M4L7 as my host, then include that content automatically in the browser.
That's the basic difference that they've had trouble communicating (or haven't even tried) to users. For some people the content is M4L. That's where the value lies.

For others the value lies in being able to expand Live and get their hands dirty doing it.

And then there are those of us who were already Max users and just see Live as a big shiny transport object to host our patches in. :wink:

So for the last two camps the content and the environment itself may be very different things. Just look how a bunch of the M4L content that was automatically installed with Live 8 is now an optional M4L pack on the website since Live 9.
Unsound Designer

Post Reply