Please Help With Drum Sequencer

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
penguinpajamas

Please Help With Drum Sequencer

Post by penguinpajamas » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:15 pm

Hey guys! So I’m working on a drum sequencer for a project, but I’m running into some problems with it that I’d love some insight on.
First off let me describe what I’m hoping to do. I’m hoping to build a step sequencer that allows for drum sequence programming for up to 8 drum sounds and up to 8 patterns up to 4 bars that can be switched between in real time. Also, I’m hoping to be able to edit the sequences on a 256th note resolution. In the end, this is going to be edited on a hardware controller that contains a row of 16 buttons, so you’d select the drum sound and pattern you want to edit, the resolution you want to edit them at, and the position in the overall pattern that’s being displayed on the buttons. I also want to be able to edit the velocity of each note individually with all of this.

Now let me get into some of the problems I’m having programming this so far. For one, I’m having loads of trouble storing with the amount of data that this seems to use, as a single sound of a single pattern at a 256th note resolution will have 1024 notes. SO there’s a lot of data to store and recall, and I’m having a lot of trouble with this. I’ve been working primarily with the preset and matrix.cntrl objects to do this, but I’m running into loads of errors. Also, working with different resolutions, it seems the stored data for different resolutions needs to be able to interact with each other. For example, a note on the first beat of one resolution should also be on the first beat of every other resolution.

So, with all of this, if anybody could give me some general pointers with how to go about doing this, it would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,
Charlie

chapelier fou

Re: Please Help With Drum Sequencer

Post by chapelier fou » Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:54 am

interesting and difficult problem indeed.

What i would suggest (maybe) :

take advantage of Live and use its engine for all that's dealing with notes. You could record your patterns in clips (legato mode) and use the API to select, move and edit notes.
Just a thought. Sometimes reinventing the wheel is a bit difficult.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1