Frequency to note feedback?

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
Airyck

Frequency to note feedback?

Post by Airyck » Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:01 am

Hi,

I'm working on building some sound libraries with simplified macro controls to change the most pertinent parameters for a particular sound. So basically an instrument rack for building kicks or snares using layering and other tricks I've learned through production in order to speed up the entire production process.

I was thinking that it would be great to be able to get some sort of feedback when tuning kicks as to what note it's playing back at while tuning the kick. I know I can place a spectrum on it and find the fundamental and mouse over to see what note the kick is tuned to but I thought it would be cool if I could use Max somehow to automatically detect the fundamental frequency and convert that to a note that could be fed back to some sort of simple note display. Eventually finding a way to feed that back to the display of a push controller so that kicks could be tuned right on the push controller.

I'm up for digging in and learning Max for this purpose (amongst other ideas I have) but first wanted to find out if this would be something that is even possible with Max or if it's already been done.

Any feedback is appreciated :)

Thanks!
Ableton Live 10 Suite / Push 2 / Max 8 /

stringtapper

Re: Frequency to note feedback?

Post by stringtapper » Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:40 am

You don't make it very clear what you're using to make the drums sounds (Operator, M4L devices, etc.) so it really depends on that as to how easy it could be to do it.

If you were using a custom M4L device to make the sounds then it would be dead simple to put a [ftom] object after the frequency input and send that to a number box to display the notes.

If you're using something like Operator then there might be a way to get the data coming from the frequency knob on one of the oscillators and send that to [ftom]. That would be some API stuff, which I don't know a ton about (and again, not sure if that data is even accessible through the API).

If neither of those solutions worked then you would have to do some pitch tracking work in Max using something like the [fzero~] object.

Someone who knows more about Push will have to chime in on displaying the notes on it.
Unsound Designer

Airyck

Post by Airyck » Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:33 am

Thanks for the reply but I'm actually talking about retrieving the frequency data from an audio signal where the frequency is unknown. In other words detecting the fundamental frequency using audio samples that are loaded and played back in sampler or other max for live sample playing device.
Ableton Live 10 Suite / Push 2 / Max 8 /

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:04 pm

Then the [fzero~] solution if you want to build it.

Or search for devices that do pitch tracking on maxforlive.com. If there isn't exactly what you want then maybe something exists that you can rip the pitch tracking code from and repurpose it.
Unsound Designer