Rewire and MAX

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
Byxx

Rewire and MAX

Post by Byxx » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:14 pm

Unfortunately Live is not able to open M4L in Rewire Mode. Is it possible to convert the Max Instruments to regular live Instruments to avoid the Max Level?

Thx
T
ALS 10 on WIN10

stringtapper

Re: Rewire and MAX

Post by stringtapper » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:44 pm

No.

But that would be some serious wizardry if they could make M4L devices compile as C++ to run Natively though!*

* i.e. I wouldn't hold my breath on that one… :wink:
Unsound Designer

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:26 pm

LTM wrote:Unfortunately Live is not able to open M4L in Rewire Mode. Is it possible to convert the Max Instruments to regular live Instruments to avoid the Max Level?
Freeze the tracks.
Make some music!

Byxx

Post by Byxx » Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:46 pm

Thanks,

I would love to rewire with open m4L Devices to work on the complete arrangement dynamically here. I work with notation options for my musicians using a regular sequencer as a master. Wouldn´t freezin imply a finished arrangement process in LIVE?

olreittie
Best
Tim
ALS 10 on WIN10

Ernest Meyer

Post by Ernest Meyer » Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:18 pm

I am a newbie to M4L, but I think the problem is that Max is a Rewire host, not a Rewire client. As I understand it,the problem is the same as for VSTs, that is the Max scheduler needs CPU priority for the high=priority threads to work properly. So these days Max cannot be a VST client either. It would be nice if there were a way to use it anyway, if the scheduler isnt really needed to run in high priority mode, but I dont know of any simple way to do that.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:08 pm

LTM wrote:Thanks,
Wouldn´t freezin imply a finished arrangement process in LIVE?
When I freeze tracks it's because I'm done working on that track for now. It doesn't have to be finished. Sometimes I freeze when giving the project to someone that doesn't have my used range of plug-ins.
Make some music!

RobPaper

Post by RobPaper » Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:34 pm

I want to make sure I understand correctly. if I use ableton with rewire to protools I will have an error message trying to load M4L plugs!? so I need to buy max and rewrite the dacs to each patch? but then I lose the m4l API? if this is true you should put a * next to your advertising that says rewire compatible*

*m4l dissabled in rewire mode.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:06 pm

RobPaper wrote: next to your advertising
Your? Who do you think you're talking with? We're users. Well, mostly. No staff in this thread so far I think.
Make some music!

RobPaper

Post by RobPaper » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:24 pm

I think there is a good chance ableton staff read these forums

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:35 pm

RobPaper wrote: *m4l dissabled in rewire mode.
Is m4l disabled as a Rewire host, is it?
Make some music!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:38 pm

RobPaper wrote:I think there is a good chance ableton staff read these forums
You're talking to us users so far and commented on things written by users. Don't assume.

If you want Ableton Staff, get support or post in Feature Wishlist if you have suggestions. That one is read more regularly. Ableton staff also need to, you know, work. Reading every post is hardly that important or practical.
Make some music!

RobPaper

Post by RobPaper » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:51 pm

stringtapper wrote:that would be some serious wizardry if they could make M4L devices compile as C++ to run Natively though!*

if it was made in Gen~ you can
https://github.com/olilarkin/IPlugGen

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:28 pm

RobPaper wrote:
stringtapper wrote:that would be some serious wizardry if they could make M4L devices compile as C++ to run Natively though!*

if it was made in Gen~ you can
https://github.com/olilarkin/IPlugGen
But that's only for internal processing inside a device. You'd still have to recreate the GUI yourself in C++. Gen is for lower level functions.

In other words Oli's solution (while awesome) is nowhere near the same as a function within Live that could compile M4L and run them as native Live devices.
Unsound Designer