OSCiLLOT

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
swishniak

Re: OSCiLLOT

Post by swishniak » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:43 pm

ive used beap in max6 and got some nice results, but the patches i created were always and bit wonky and i could never get them to fit well into device window within live (admittedly this is due to my crappy max chops). but it would make me interested in a more polished version like osscilot.

i think stretta, who developed BEAP had a nice approach to creating a sort of open framework... and i hope that he would be ok with someone else creating another version. would love to see oscillot in action too.

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:15 am

How CPU hungry is this thing?
Is it going to bring my 2008 Mac Pro 8 core 2.8ghz to its knees? Am I going to have to break my 5 year long streak of not having to freeze a track to keep working?

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:06 am

Whoa. That's a blast from the past. 8O
Unsound Designer

sparklepuff

Post by sparklepuff » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:33 am

Old ghosts still haunt this place
Guitar | Synths | Samplers | Ableton @ Phantogram & Big Grams

puzzlefactory

Post by puzzlefactory » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:12 pm

I have to say, I do like the look of this thing. On the outset it looks like how I wish Reaktor would behave on a "macro" level. i.e everything just plugging in to everything else,without the need for "math" modules in between. The inputs and outputs look a lot more clear than Reaktors modules too.

SuburbanThug

Post by SuburbanThug » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:56 pm

Bump! Any word on bugginess and CPU usage? How does it sound?

CFM

Post by CFM » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:30 pm

CPU usage
Polyphonic instruments - eat CPU for breakfast (even an Intel i7)
Mono instruments - not too bad

I'm hoping that with upgrades they will be able to them it less CPU hungry!

thecld

Post by thecld » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:40 pm

CFM wrote:
CPU usage
Polyphonic instruments - eat CPU for breakfast (even an Intel i7)
Mono instruments - not too bad

I'm hoping that with upgrades they will be able to them it less CPU hungry!
What about the sound quality? Could you post some audio clips? :D

ObtuseMoose

Post by ObtuseMoose » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:46 pm

SuburbanThug wrote:Bump! Any word on bugginess and CPU usage? How does it sound?
Bugginess: There are some. I've been using it pretty heavily since the day it was released and I've found 3 so far:

- The trigger output on "NoteSeq" is incorrect. (Instead of brief impulses on each note, it's a square wave that changes state with each note. E.g. it goes high on note 1, low on note 2, high on note 3, etc.)

- The 1/4 output on the "ClockDivider" has some timing issues. (You can work around it by using the "Free" output set to 4, assuming you don't need that output for something else.)

- The sliders for inputs 7 and 8 on the "Mix 8" are reversed. (The S7 slider actually controls input 8, and the S8 slider actually controls input 7).

The developer says that all of these are already fixed and a new version will be released soon (next week?). I've not found these issues to be a serious impediment to my explorations as they can all be worked around.

CPU usage: I'm actually kind of surprised that it doesn't use more than it does. With the editor open and a moderately complex mono patch, Activity Monitor on my MacBook Pro (2.8 GHz i7) shows Live using about 45% - 50% while the patch is running. With the editor closed, that drops to about 15%. Note that this is NOT CPU usage as reported by Live. Live's meter hovers around 5% - 6% with a moderatly complex mono patch.

Sound: Not going to step into that one. :-) If I don't like the sound, I tweak it until I DO like it.

I'm having a blast playing with it; it's probably the most fun I've had with any plugin or Live pack I've ever used. Unfortunately, it has only reinforced my gear lust for a REAL modular ...

--
Moose
"all the musical ability of a blocked nostril"

SuburbanThug

Post by SuburbanThug » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:13 pm

Thanks, Obtuse. All in all it sounds like I'm definitely going to purchase. Should keep me busy for a while longer while I avoid actually learning Max.

thecld

Post by thecld » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:03 pm

There are two new videos with OSCiLLOT on YT if someone's interested:

- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2goyBR_5Yyk

- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I46JADMJ7Uo

It would be nice if someone did more 'musical' video 8)

ObtuseMoose

Post by ObtuseMoose » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:10 pm

Looks like a new version of Oscillot has been released. The download file name was OSCiLLOTbyMaxforCats_r37473_v1.0 but today I noticed it's OSCiLLOTbyMaxforCats_r37537_v1.0. And indeed, when I downloaded and installed it, the version number shows 1.01 (was 1.0).

Two of the three bugs I mentioned above (ClockDivider and Mix8) are fixed, but NoteSeq is still broken (now there's no output at all on the TRIG output.)

--
Moose
"all the musical ability of a blocked nostril"

jbw

Post by jbw » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:58 am

Tutorial video, along with two new modules:

https://www.ableton.com/en/blog/first-v ... -oscillot/

kleine

Post by kleine » Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:24 am

ObtuseMoose wrote:Looks like a new version of Oscillot has been released. The download file name was OSCiLLOTbyMaxforCats_r37473_v1.0 but today I noticed it's OSCiLLOTbyMaxforCats_r37537_v1.0. And indeed, when I downloaded and installed it, the version number shows 1.01 (was 1.0).

Two of the three bugs I mentioned above (ClockDivider and Mix8) are fixed, but NoteSeq is still broken (now there's no output at all on the TRIG output.)

--
Moose
OSCiLLOT has an update notification system built in. Once there is an update, it will display a message. Apart from that, you can always look at the version number in OSCiLLOT itself and compare it with the latest version/changelog posted at Maxforcats (http://maxforcats.com/forums/forum/oscillot-forum/).
Strange and sorry about the NoteSeq trig out. It seems to be bewitched - i'll take another look.
Btw: You can safely ignore the pack version numbers for OSCiLLOT (OSCiLLOTbyMaxforCats_r37537_v1.0) - these are not designed for things like OSCiLLOT.

rich garside

Post by rich garside » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:23 pm

I used this for a bit. CPU is an issue for me and I have a top of the line mac book pro. I would use it for sound design but not in a larger project or full track it kills the computer. I find a lot of max stuff like that to be honest. interesting and novel but impractically CPU hungry i mean you really need to watch what your doing with this stuff which is a creativity killer for me. I just want everything to connect and work!!! ;)