max keeps on asking for Java update

Questions and discussion about building and using Max for Live devices
de wouzer

max keeps on asking for Java update

Post by de wouzer » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:44 pm

I didn't use ableton for a few months. Maybe it is because I have updated my system, or maybe there is another reason... I don't know, I hope someone will help me.

This is the situation:
I run Apple OS Yosemite (10.10.2)
I have installed Java 8 update 31
I have updated ableton to 9..1.7
Ip have updated max to Max51_1410009_c65762b

Both Max and Ableton run 64 bit on my macbook pro quad core.

____

Everything works fine, until I start a Max application. There is a message saying "To open this Java application, you need to install the legacy java SE6 runtime"
So I install the newest version of Java....

After rebooting ableton or rebooting my computer, I still have problems with opening Max applications. The message opens again, and I cannot work with Max...

___

Anyone has an idea what I do wrong?
macbook 2.4 ghz 2 gig ram, akai MPK 25, uc33e, apc40, ableton 8 suite, krk vx6, NI audio 8

Stromkraft

Re: max keeps on asking for Java update

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:52 pm

de wouzer wrote: Everything works fine, until I start a Max application. There is a message saying "To open this Java application, you need to install the legacy java SE6 runtime"
So I install the newest version of Java....
Unfortunately, you need to install the Java 6 version and not the latest (they should be able to have side by side, however). You can find Java 6 for OS X here: Java for OS X 2014-001.

please note, that you should deactivate java for the web browser in the security panel of the java settings as that is a known security risk (Don't inactivate Javascript, however). Apple might have done that already, but good to check so it's not active.

The funny thing is that Max For Live in itself isn't dependent on Java, but some devices may be. I have recently pointed out this dependency as a problem both to Ableton and Cycling74. We'll see how that plays out.
Make some music!

de wouzer

Re: max keeps on asking for Java update

Post by de wouzer » Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:05 pm

thank you very much. Strange it only works with java 6.... but maybe it's me who doesn't understand it.

Everything works fine now. I am really happy with it...
macbook 2.4 ghz 2 gig ram, akai MPK 25, uc33e, apc40, ableton 8 suite, krk vx6, NI audio 8