M4L Device for Chord Recognition

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
Udo Behm

M4L Device for Chord Recognition

Post by Udo Behm » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:32 pm

Hi there, is anybody able creating a Max for Live Device that is able to recognize chords and changing incoming MIDI notes to output only one single note which is the root note of the detected chord? It should be able to detect chord inversions and output only the root note of the chord (e. g. if the keys E1, G1 and C2 are played, the Device should detect a C Major chord and change the MIDI notes to output the nearest C note to the chord (which would be C2 in this case)).

I know that programming such a tool might not be as easy. However I want to use it for Accompaniment mode to play chords and get a bass note based on the detected chord. Would be cool if someone was able programming such a Device. Please PM me if you can do.

f.poce@tiscali.nl

Re: M4L Device for Chord Recognition

Post by f.poce@tiscali.nl » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:00 pm

In the last update of Harmotools you have a new device called "HarmoChordBass J74.amxd".
This device receives the chord information detected from the "HarmoChord J74.amxd" device and plays out a line of bass based on the detected root.
You can define triggers and pitch offset per step (in sixteens).

Harmotools is here: http://www.fabriziopoce.com/download.html (it's a free download).

Gr
J74 / Fab
Udo Behm wrote:Hi there, is anybody able creating a Max for Live Device that is able to recognize chords and changing incoming MIDI notes to output only one single note which is the root note of the detected chord? It should be able to detect chord inversions and output only the root note of the chord (e. g. if the keys E1, G1 and C2 are played, the Device should detect a C Major chord and change the MIDI notes to output the nearest C note to the chord (which would be C2 in this case)).

I know that programming such a tool might not be as easy. However I want to use it for Accompaniment mode to play chords and get a bass note based on the detected chord. Would be cool if someone was able programming such a Device. Please PM me if you can do.

ScotchHall

Post by ScotchHall » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:09 pm

How do i install this on Ableton because i'm thinking about getting the J74 Iso Controllers
f.poce@tiscali.nl wrote:In the last update of Harmotools you have a new device called "HarmoChordBass J74.amxd".
This device receives the chord information detected from the "HarmoChord J74.amxd" device and plays out a line of bass based on the detected root.
You can define triggers and pitch offset per step (in sixteens).

Harmotools is here: http://www.fabriziopoce.com/download.html (it's a free download).

Gr
J74 / Fab
Udo Behm wrote:Hi there, is anybody able creating a Max for Live Device that is able to recognize chords and changing incoming MIDI notes to output only one single note which is the root note of the detected chord? It should be able to detect chord inversions and output only the root note of the chord (e. g. if the keys E1, G1 and C2 are played, the Device should detect a C Major chord and change the MIDI notes to output the nearest C note to the chord (which would be C2 in this case)).

f.poce@tiscali.nl

Post by f.poce@tiscali.nl » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:04 pm

With Max for Live devices there is no actual installation, apart of course the one-off installation of Max itself.

So as one-off:
- You install Max/MSP/Jitter (currently version recommended is 6.1.9)
- You install Ableton Live (Suite or Standard + Max for Live license)

Then, from here on:
- Drop the Max for Live device you need from the Live Browser (or from you file manager - Finder on MAC / Explorer on Windows) in a Live track (MIDI or Audio track, depending on the device) as you would do with native devices.

There's all there is.....
Last edited by f.poce@tiscali.nl on Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

f.poce@tiscali.nl

Post by f.poce@tiscali.nl » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:06 pm

By the way, since you asked, the ISO Controller device I have made (http://www.fabriziopoce.com/download.html) comes in two formats:
- Max for Live (see description above)
- Standalone App (working via MIDI, usable without Max for Live - and actually even without Live....)

So you can use it in different ways if you like.

f.poce@tiscali.nl

Post by f.poce@tiscali.nl » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:50 pm

All,

I have updated J74 Harmotools again.
The latest update includes a new filter called "HarmoTonicFilter J74.amxd".
This device receives the chord information detected from the "HarmoChord J74.amxd" device in the pack and filters any incoming MIDI transposing anything to the chord root note.
If input notes are octaves apart, the output chord roots will be also octave apart.
You can also define the octave offset.

This is useful for having simple basslines as MIDI clip adapted to match the root of the currectly detected chord.
Harmotools can be downloaded (free) here: http://www.fabriziopoce.com/download.html