time and timbre tip - midi out

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
schlocktober

time and timbre tip - midi out

Post by schlocktober » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:28 pm

I started this thread as a feature request, but I had an idea that fixed the issue while I was typing.

My goal was to receive midi from the time device on another track, as I sometimes do to get an editable clip out of an arpeggiator, but the track wasn't getting any of the notes generated by time.

All it takes to address that is to change the second drop-down under "midi from" to the post-FX output of the actual drum rack that is being controlled by time. Another option is to work with an instance of time that has no drum rack inside.

Time has such a cool and practical interface for working with odd time divisions; this way the resulting rhythms can be applied to something other than a drum rack. It also gives a way to capture a long midi clip from a "performance" on the sequencer.

Airyck

Re: time and timbre tip - midi out

Post by Airyck » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:03 am

Good tip! Time has such cool rhythmic qualities that creating groove templates for the rest of your track from the rhythms has been something I've thought of quite a bit. I'd like to see an update to time and timbre where you could extract your current groove template from time as a file or even directly into the groove pool :)
Ableton Live 10 Suite / Push 2 / Max 8 /

sbx

Post by sbx » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:01 pm

hi guys, happy you figured it out :)
regarding the feature request, this is something we had in mind and would love do, but unfortunately cant due to live api restrictions at the moment, never the less (spoiler alert) we are currently working on a big update which will include other devices that speaks the same time language..

another way to extract grooves would be to records the audio of the bass drum for example (just fill in all the notes and choose your groove) and then extract the groove and apply it to other clips,

best

skinnerbox

Airyck

Post by Airyck » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:56 pm

Thanks! The audio trick will work great for now.

If you're talking about what I think you're talking about and we have the capabilities to have grooves across many tracks follow the "master" dynamically... well, this would change everything about the ways we could work with grooves. Combine this with something like the James Holden M4L plug and I could see this turning into the most organic sounding electronic music ever :) Can't wait!

Airyck

Post by Airyck » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:36 pm

Tried a quick resample of the audio, created a groove and applied it to my other parts. All of a sudden my song was alive with all this push and pull happening. Super cool! Time & Timbre is definitely part of my default template now.