9.2 and MAX 7..?

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
Homebelly

9.2 and MAX 7..?

Post by Homebelly » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:12 am

Bit confused..?

As a MAX 4 live user since M4L was first introduced, do i need to now pay for an upgrade to use MAX 7?

I have both live 9.2 and M4L 7.0.3 down loaded from my account on the Ableton site..
Live is pointed to MAX 7 and opened fine, so no issues there..

Just curious if i am supposed to be paying for an up grade..?
15" 2.4 MBP/Live/Sampler/Operator/ Home made Dumble clone/Two Strats/One Jazz Bass.
Come and visit any time= Soundcloud

sigabort

Re: 9.2 and MAX 7..?

Post by sigabort » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:46 am

no, now 7 is officially supported as the M4L version, you're M4L license is now Max 7...

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:14 am

I'm confused too.
Because my understanding was I'd have to pay for a m4L 7 upgrade.

I installed max 7 during 9.2 beta to try and fix issues, to debug & install the supplied patch, but it remained a demo. I can't save from it.
So it appeared from use that Max 7 was a player, and not an editor, for Live users who didn't buy a max 7 upgrade license. I'm sure I read that too.

:?

Edit - hmm,
The article which everyone used to point to, and abletons site search points to on the subject is deleted

https://www.ableton.com/en/help/article ... patiblity/

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:32 am

It just works as usual since the 1st day of M4L, which was using Max 5 at back then :
As soon as a Max version is officially supported by Live, you don't need to own a full Max license to use it as your M4L editor.

When Max 6 came out, Live was still v8. M4L users who didn't own a full Max license had to stick to Max5, but the ones who also had a full Max6 license were already able to use it as their M4L editor.
Live 9 came out and with official Max 6 compatibly for every M4L users; and now Live 9.2 does the same for Max 7.

Hope this makes sense.

Julien
Ableton Forum Moderator

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:21 am

Aha, so because I was using the L9.2 beta while I was trying to send crash reports in from Max7... it wasn't "officially supported" so it was stuck in demo mode .
But now that 9.2 is released Max 7 should work correctly?

I will try this then, because it made bug reporting quite hard work.
I also hope the bug where max7 caused 45 second Live startups is fixed (as opposed to 6 seconds with max6), but as I've not had an update on that I assume its the same.
---
edit - yes. [JUR] was of course correct.
As soon as a Max version is officially supported by Live, you don't need to own a full Max license to use it as your M4L editor.

and as for my long startup bug. the "Jenkins" bug(Case ableton1336559). It took Max7 it took 33 seconds to load up Live 9.2 which is a decent improvement on the 45+ seconds I had in the beta. I will gladly accept that if it means I no longer have the crash on start 4 times, every time. It's no use having a 6 second startup if you have to do it 4 times!

On another note I really like what they have done with Max 7, it's a very slick seeming application, the beap integration for example (right near the surface) is the sort of thing I was hoping for.
that's right. You heard me correctly.
no, my account has not been hacked.

jim5

Post by jim5 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:11 am

[jur] wrote:It just works as usual since the 1st day of M4L, which was using Max 5 at back then :

When Max 6 came out, Live was still v8. M4L users who didn't own a full Max license had to stick to Max5, but the ones who also had a full Max6 license were already able to use it as their M4L editor.
Live 9 came out and with official Max 6 compatibly for every M4L users; and now Live 9.2 does the same for Max 7.

Hope this makes sense.

Julien

So Did I just waste $209 by cross grading to Max 7 a week before 9.2/M4L 7 got released?

It looks like the download file for Max 7 from Cyclling 74 site and M4L 7 file from Ableton site are the same file.

jonbenderr

Post by jonbenderr » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:04 pm

They are not the same. What you bought was the ability to use Max with or WITHOUT Ableton Live. All of us strictly max for live users can only use Max from within Ableton.

You can actually build stand alones with your license now. I wouldn't regret that for a second.

jim5

Post by jim5 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:56 pm

roomkillahprods wrote:They are not the same. What you bought was the ability to use Max with or WITHOUT Ableton Live. All of us strictly max for live users can only use Max from within Ableton.

You can actually build stand alones with your license now. I wouldn't regret that for a second.
Yeh the thing is I haven't and would never use it without Ableton. I cross graded thinking M4L wouldn't get the v7 until late this fall.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:24 pm

jim5 wrote:
roomkillahprods wrote:They are not the same. What you bought was the ability to use Max with or WITHOUT Ableton Live. All of us strictly max for live users can only use Max from within Ableton.

Yeh the thing is I haven't and would never use it without Ableton. I cross graded thinking M4L wouldn't get the v7 until late this fall.
Why in the world would you have thought that? They've never given any previous indication as to when a new version of Max will be officially compatible with Live in the past.
Unsound Designer

jim5

Post by jim5 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:02 am

stringtapper wrote:
jim5 wrote:

Why in the world would you have thought that? They've never given any previous indication as to when a new version of Max will be officially compatible with Live in the past.
Just a guess based on few articles I read.

[rry]

Post by [rry] » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:12 pm

Hi All,

A standalone Max license is only required if you want to use Max on it's own, without Ableton. That is creating and saving your own Max patches - all of the features that Max provides as an independent program.

For Live use (loading, creating, using Max for Live devices in Ableton) there is a serial/license that comes with the suite version for just this. You can check your respective serial number for just 'Max for Live' in your user account. So once you hit the 'edit' button on a Max for Live device in Live, Live will open the Max patcher for this device, and you can edit, save etc as you please. What is important to know is that at this point, Live basically tells Max that you have the correct authorization and can work within the Max interface as you please, as long as Live initiates the Max editor.

Opening Max standalone will never have this 'Max for Live' authorization step, and at this point you trigger the regular Max licensing system: Trial period / authorization process / iLok / etc.

Max 7 compatibility with M4L was always possible if you own a Max 7 license, but we never suggested it as there was a standard migration period. Only since Max 7.0.2 has this been open to ALL Max for Live users.

Best,
Rory

Homebelly

Post by Homebelly » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:57 pm

Rory..

any chance of a live pack being made available for the new MAX 7 Live devises?
The work round posted on the abelton site works.. but it's a wee bit of a hurdle.
15" 2.4 MBP/Live/Sampler/Operator/ Home made Dumble clone/Two Strats/One Jazz Bass.
Come and visit any time= Soundcloud