Max 7. Now I have a whole bunch of doubles in browser

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
murgatroid

Max 7. Now I have a whole bunch of doubles in browser

Post by murgatroid » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:36 pm

I copied all the 'new' Max 7 instruments & effects to my ableton user folder, (as per ableton faq instructions) but now I have many doubles showing up in Lives browser.

Thing is, one copy contains presets and the other doesn't. Also, if I right click on the one with no presets I get both 'show in finder' and 'show in place' but the one with presets just has 'show in place' with the other one greyed out.

Oddly it seems the copy that are in the 'older' Max Live Packs that are in the factory folder has the presets but the 'new' Max 7 ones don't.

One needs to be trashed probably but which one. *bloody confused*

regretfullySaid

Re: Max 7. Now I have a whole bunch of doubles in browser

Post by regretfullySaid » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:08 am

Were you by any chance drinking alcohol when you observed this anomaly?
ImageImage

murgatroid

Post by murgatroid » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:41 am

shadx312 wrote:Were you by any chance drinking alcohol when you observed this anomaly?

uh...no

as i said, its probably reading the same ones that are in the live factory max packs and the ones that I copied to my user folder from the max 7 contents

now you're just being a scamp

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:50 am

You should check both spots in the finder windows, also check the dates of the devices in both places. You can move either in a temp folder then see how Live's browser shows them. I don't get presets for the newer placed devices either, but I didn't move them into the user library, I just added the folder so I have a little more separation than you but there are still copies in the separate places. I didn't bother to go further to junk any yet though. I would move the older versions and if there aren't any problems then junk em. The presets should still work with the newer versions. And probably for many there are no differences between the older and newer dated devices.
ImageImage

murgatroid

Post by murgatroid » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:19 pm

shadx312 wrote:You should check both spots in the finder windows, also check the dates of the devices in both places. You can move either in a temp folder then see how Live's browser shows them. I don't get presets for the newer placed devices either, but I didn't move them into the user library, I just added the folder so I have a little more separation than you but there are still copies in the separate places. I didn't bother to go further to junk any yet though. I would move the older versions and if there aren't any problems then junk em. The presets should still work with the newer versions. And probably for many there are no differences between the older and newer dated devices.

Good, thanks. :)

I'm wondering though as to why the factory max items have presets associated with them whereas the ones in the new max 7 folder don't. Hmmmm

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:30 pm

Perhaps they need to hire someone for QA?
ImageImage

murgatroid

Post by murgatroid » Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:57 pm

hehe, yeah

Perhaps I'll do a get info and see which ones may or not be newer and hopefully they're all the same version and I'll trash the ones that don't have presets