The super-n00b MIDI question!

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
LikeTotallyRandom

The super-n00b MIDI question!

Post by LikeTotallyRandom » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:54 am

Max 4 L n00b. I have created some patches following Manzo's cookbook in the Max environment.

Problem: My patches work in the max 7 demo version that I have downloaded using Max as standalone, but they don't work inside Live 9.

Example, created a supersimple patch just for learning purposes, take an input note, add 5 semitones. I put the piano VST (pianotech) in the instrument slot to the right of my max program.

When deactivated, I can hear my piano synth upon using my external midi controller.
When activated, I can't hear a thing.

What am I doing wrong, alternately, where is midi for max - ableton interaction sketched out in a n00b-friendly fashion?

jonbenderr

Re: The super-n00b MIDI question!

Post by jonbenderr » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:57 am

You don't have velocity for your notein/noteout objects.

If you patch a cord from you noteins's velocity outlet to your noteout's velocity inlet, well, you will hear what happens.

LikeTotallyRandom

Post by LikeTotallyRandom » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:46 pm

roomkillahprods wrote:You don't have velocity for your notein/noteout objects.

If you patch a cord from you noteins's velocity outlet to your noteout's velocity inlet, well, you will hear what happens.
I actually still couldn't hear anything.

...Until I discovered you have to close the editor window to test.

jonbenderr

Post by jonbenderr » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:10 pm

Not true.

From the looks of your second screen shot, the track your device resides on was not armed. (The record button was not red.)

You should be able to preview what your doing in max while working in max, as long as the track is armed.

Edit: You should also have your monitoring set to Auto not In.

Not trying to insult your intelligence or anything, just going off what I see in the screenshots and trying to help.