Beatseeker M4L device - please help regarding setup.

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
Tekhed66

Beatseeker M4L device - please help regarding setup.

Post by Tekhed66 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:26 am

Hello

I was wondering if anyone has started using the new Beatseeker device? I've downloaded it but can't use it or try it until our next rehearsal.

I was hoping that someone can tell me how to actually (physically) set up the device... I know that it can read an acoustic snare trigger from a mic but how do you send that signal to Ableton while playing a set?

I want to be able to start a track using Ableton's metronome to set the tempo (which currently sends a click to our drummer), and then soon after the track starts, switch over to Beatseeker and let the drummer take over.

I'm just stuck on where to insert the device in our track and also wht hardware/cabling do I need to send the acoustic trigger to Beatseeker.

I've looked on the web but haven't found an idiot's guide yet (ie. a how to for yours truly :? )

any help would be appreciated.

thanks

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Beatseeker M4L device - please help regarding setup.

Post by [jur] » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:54 am

Just put it on the audio track where the drums signal is sent.
If you right-click the Pack in your browser you'll see an option to display the Pack's informations.
Ableton Forum Moderator

Tekhed66

Post by Tekhed66 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:30 pm

Hi Jur

Thanks for the heads up ... I installed it and had a bit of a play... rehearsals aren't until next week so I had to resort to clapping hands (??!!??) but it seems to be working

The proof, as they say, will be in the pudding.

cheers and thanks

Noelb

Post by Noelb » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:06 pm

Just tried it, works really really well! :D :D :D :D :D And I'm not even a real drummer, so my timing was constantly off, but this thing just kept up with me perfectly.

This is just what I've been waiting for. I'm forming a duo made up of keys and drums and I use a lot of arps and pre-recorded MIDI loops. This will be the perfect alternative to the old robotic click track, so to give back a natural feel to our performances!

Venetian

Post by Venetian » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:20 am

I want to be able to start a track using Ableton's metronome to set the tempo (which currently sends a click to our drummer), and then soon after the track starts, switch over to Beatseeker and let the drummer take over.
Just a quick note on this point. The standard Play and Tap Tempo buttons still work as you would expect. So press Play to start the Live set at the tempo (as which point the device is yellow and tempo following is off). The Beatseeker button engages the device at the current tempo bringing in tempo following.

lacerate

Post by lacerate » Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:43 pm

Hi, Ive just started playing around with this and am having an issue with mapping the midi button. How do I midi map the tempo following button? Midi Map mode doesnt work and I tried with several different midi controllers. I can get the map up by grouping the device and mapping the button to a macro knob but can't map the macro knob to be on/off on my drum kit. Im using some Roland V-drums as my drum signal and one of the toms to trigger the button. Is it a M4L thing (as Ive never really midimapped anything I use in M4L)?

Also, maybe Im doing something wrong cause Ive only played with it for less than an hour but is the BS generally trying to stay within a narrow tempo range once its first triggered (in follow mode)? It works quite well and is fun within that initial range. If I want more of a longer ramp, I can get it to slow down gradually but it doesn't seem to want to go faster (not more than say 5-10bpm) if I try and speed the sequence up. Maybe a buffering thing? One more thing, can I change it so the tempo doesn't always snap back to the original tempo after you stop?
Thanks for any help or suggestions people!

Venetian

Post by Venetian » Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:19 pm

hi. Regarding the midi mapping. That should work. Try midi mapping a keyboard, or try mapping your drum controller to other devices. Is that working okay?
Also, maybe Im doing something wrong cause Ive only played with it for less than an hour but is the BS generally trying to stay within a narrow tempo range once its first triggered (in follow mode)? It works quite well and is fun within that initial range. If I want more of a longer ramp, I can get it to slow down gradually but it doesn't seem to want to go faster (not more than say 5-10bpm) if I try and speed the sequence up. Maybe a buffering thing?
You're right. Stability is favoured over rapid tempo changes.
One more thing, can I change it so the tempo doesn't always snap back to the original tempo after you stop?
If you consider the situation whereby a Live set is loaded and played, then saved. You might want to always have this initial tempo the same, not changed depending on how you played the set. I'm not quite sure why it would be good for it stay at the final, as opposed to initial tempo, but you could easily relaunch at the new tempo?