M4L Essentials MIDI Monitor: always displaying channel 1?

Questions and discussion about building and using Max for Live devices
Post Reply
Matt_Quinn
Posts: 515
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:47 pm

M4L Essentials MIDI Monitor: always displaying channel 1?

Post by Matt_Quinn » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:34 pm

For some reason, this device shows everything as being on MIDI channel 1, even though that's definitely not accurate. Example: I have a Moog sending & receiving on channel 5, and I can *see* that in Live's I/O section on that track, but the MIDI Monitor device on the same track shows all the proper names/parameter changes, just on the wrong channel. Any thoughts? Trying to set all my controllers neatly mapped on their own channels.
the_planet wrote:Trap music is not supported in the current version.

kleine
Posts: 1850
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2001 11:46 am
Location: ableton
Contact:

Re: M4L Essentials MIDI Monitor: always displaying channel 1?

Post by kleine » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:19 pm

The channel view is indeed at the moment slightly superfluous, Live merges EVERYTHING internally (device view) to Channel 1 no matter which channel your in/out section is set to...

best,
c

Matt_Quinn
Posts: 515
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:47 pm

Re: M4L Essentials MIDI Monitor: always displaying channel 1?

Post by Matt_Quinn » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:51 pm

kleine wrote:The channel view is indeed at the moment slightly superfluous, Live merges EVERYTHING internally (device view) to Channel 1 no matter which channel your in/out section is set to...

best,
c


That's weird. What is this device supposed to be used for then? Why even bother including it? This is why I hate the fact that Max devices don't always come with documentation/explanation. I spent probably an hour last night screwing around trying to figure out what was wrong with my setup/the device, but it's just broken. Wasted time. Thanks for the answer though.
the_planet wrote:Trap music is not supported in the current version.

kleine
Posts: 1850
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2001 11:46 am
Location: ableton
Contact:

Re: M4L Essentials MIDI Monitor: always displaying channel 1?

Post by kleine » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:00 pm

The intent is mainly to watch CC data. E.g. in case you're wondering if your keyboard or controller e.g. sends Aftertouch, this device will help you. The fact that Live merges everything to channel one has nothing to do with the device.
Note that you can use the device also directly in Max 7 (which can load amxd's) and you can monitor all channel data.

Best,
c

ShelLuser
Posts: 4030
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:26 pm
Location: Wageningen, Netherlands

Re: M4L Essentials MIDI Monitor: always displaying channel 1?

Post by ShelLuser » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:19 am

Matt_Quinn wrote:That's weird. What is this device supposed to be used for then? Why even bother including it? This is why I hate the fact that Max devices don't always come with documentation/explanation. I spent probably an hour last night screwing around trying to figure out what was wrong with my setup/the device, but it's just broken.
Sorry, but I have a little problem with your comment. You make it sound as if this device is useless and I strongly disagree with that one. I think it's kind of a rude comment too.

Although it is true that this Max device doesn't have any documentation the Live environment has. It's not as if all this isn't documented. Max for Live operates within the context of Live. Simple as that. So if you want to program then know your boundaries.

So... What is this device supposed to be used for.

First of all: seeing what is happening, it's a monitor after all. Instead of judging the program as you did, why
not trust it's result and working with that instead? So it's used to monitor MIDI data and does a good job too. It plain out showed you the MIDI channel issue.

But the real reason I'm a little upset with your comment is this:

Image

Each to their own but I think this is frickin' awesome. Just because you can read notes doesn't mean the rest of the world can too. In fact; this is one of the features which I really enjoyed on my CTK4000 keyboard as well, and that feature has now been incorporated into Live. Officially even.

So what's the use? Knowledge.

Man, this even went so far as note name vs. note value. I think that's pretty slick.

Yes, I am also going a little ballistic here and I know it. But so did you. Just because the device couldn't differentiate between MIDI channels (not even its own fault) you deem it useless while overlooking some other features which are plain out useful, IMO simply impressive as well.

Which brings me down to M4l. Do you know how this device works? I assume not, otherwise you would have realized the MIDI channel thingie. So... Open up the device. Honest: this is what triggered my rant.

They don't only gave us a free device, they also made it as accessible as it possibly can get!

I mean.. seriously.. Want to know how to create a nice GUI? This device shows you. Want to know how to monitor / control MIDI data? Enter the MIDIMon. And the best part: they could have made this a whole lot harder mind you. I could have locked up the GUI patch in ways where you'd have to write your own unlock routine before you could even resize the window. Yet they chose to leave it opened up, for all to see.

So with all that in mind... Sorry, but although I can respect your opinion I do think your comments about this device being supposedly useless are over the top, at least for me.

Wasted time you say? It did show you what you wanted to know, you just refused to accept it. You wasted your own time here.

My 2 cents obviously.

But I suppose I should thank you :) And no, I am not being sarcastic. Without this thread I wouldn't have found out about this device and I'm honestly glad I did.
With kind regards,

Peter

Using the 'Power' Trio: Live 10 Suite (+ Push & Max 8 ), Reason 10 and Maschine Mk3 (+ the ultimate Komplete 12).
Blog: SynthFan (under heavy construction!)

Matt_Quinn
Posts: 515
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:47 pm

Re: M4L Essentials MIDI Monitor: always displaying channel 1?

Post by Matt_Quinn » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:41 pm

Sorry for asking a question. I could not give a single fuck about learning anything about Max, not my bag. I just wanted to see what channel some information was coming in on, figured a device called MIDI monitor would do that. It didn't, I didn't understand *why* it didn't, so I asked, and got an answer from Kleine straight away. I'm glad you love this device, good for you. It just happens to not do what *I* wanted/needed it to do. Not sure why you seemed to take personal offense to this.
the_planet wrote:Trap music is not supported in the current version.

kleine
Posts: 1850
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2001 11:46 am
Location: ableton
Contact:

Re: M4L Essentials MIDI Monitor: always displaying channel 1?

Post by kleine » Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:04 pm

I do agree that it's not cool to have not the i/o MIDI channel shown. I hope that can be changed at some point.
Besides that, i think there are quite a few good use cases for this device.

best,
c

stringtapper
Posts: 6273
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:21 pm

Re: M4L Essentials MIDI Monitor: always displaying channel 1?

Post by stringtapper » Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:42 pm

Matt_Quinn wrote:Sorry for asking a question. I could not give a single fuck about learning anything about Max, not my bag. I just wanted to see what channel some information was coming in on, figured a device called MIDI monitor would do that. It didn't, I didn't understand *why* it didn't, so I asked, and got an answer from Kleine straight away. I'm glad you love this device, good for you. It just happens to not do what *I* wanted/needed it to do. Not sure why you seemed to take personal offense to this.
Well what you said was mostly just dumb and I suppose that offends some people.

I'm talking about the "what's the purpose of this device/why include it??" comments.

The device clearly shows more than just the MIDI channel, so yeah, dumb.
Unsound Designer

Matt_Quinn
Posts: 515
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:47 pm

Re: M4L Essentials MIDI Monitor: always displaying channel 1?

Post by Matt_Quinn » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:44 pm

stringtapper wrote: Well what you said was mostly just dumb and I suppose that offends some people.

I'm talking about the "what's the purpose of this device/why include it??" comments.

The device clearly shows more than just the MIDI channel, so yeah, dumb.
Just for reference, this is how you properly answer a question without being a douche:
kleine wrote:The intent is mainly to watch CC data. E.g. in case you're wondering if your keyboard or controller e.g. sends Aftertouch, this device will help you. The fact that Live merges everything to channel one has nothing to do with the device.
Note that you can use the device also directly in Max 7 (which can load amxd's) and you can monitor all channel data.

Best,
c

See how easy that was? Now you try.
the_planet wrote:Trap music is not supported in the current version.

stringtapper
Posts: 6273
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:21 pm

Re: M4L Essentials MIDI Monitor: always displaying channel 1?

Post by stringtapper » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:52 pm

Matt_Quinn wrote:
stringtapper wrote: Well what you said was mostly just dumb and I suppose that offends some people.

I'm talking about the "what's the purpose of this device/why include it??" comments.

The device clearly shows more than just the MIDI channel, so yeah, dumb.
Just for reference, this is how you properly answer a question without being a douche:
I'm not here to answer your questions. I'm here to let you know how dumb your own responses to some of those answers have been.

Any other obvious things you need explained in detail?
Unsound Designer

[jur]
Site Admin
Posts: 1791
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:04 pm
Location: Ableton

Re: M4L Essentials MIDI Monitor: always displaying channel 1?

Post by [jur] » Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:01 pm

Hi.
Should I link you to the Community guidelines ?
Seriously, you're free to insult each others... but use the PM for that.
Thanks.
Julien
Ableton Forum Moderator

Post Reply