Can't get Ableton to recognise Max For Live and install

Questions and discussion about building and using Max for Live devices
Yo Maha

Can't get Ableton to recognise Max For Live and install

Post by Yo Maha » Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:28 pm

I bought Suite and want to delve into MFL. I have downloaded and then installed the correct version, with Max 7 sitting on my desktop (which can open fine with no problems). However, when going to Preferences in Ableton to configure it to recognise I've installed MFL, I cannot find the file I am supposed to route Ableton to in order for MFL to be installed into it.
I can only find the unzipped Max files when Ableton tells me to find Max, which obviously comes up with the message "This directory does not contain a usable version of Max For Live". I have tried clicking on the desktop where Max 7 is located, looking in documents where Max packages and devices would be stored (once downloaded) etc. And cannot at all find the file I'm looking for in order for Ableton to recognise it.

Can anyone please let me know what exactly I've done wrong in hindering Ableton in it's searching for Max?

Thanks in advance.

kleine

Re: Can't get Ableton to recognise Max For Live and install

Post by kleine » Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:47 pm

I assume you are on a Mac? If Max still sits in the dmg file, drag it out of that into your applications folder.
Then point Live to it. It can't be opened when it's still in the disk image (dmg).

Best,
Christian