Mono Sequencer Buggy?

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
cohamill

Mono Sequencer Buggy?

Post by cohamill » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:34 am

Is it just my version, or has anyone else found the Mono Sequencer to be unusually buggy?

I love the sequencer and it has huge potential, but in particular, I have found on some projects that it routinely fails to save settings, loading with random patterns for the pitch, velocity, etc. when I bring up an old project.

Anyone else have experience with that?

st1040

Re: Mono Sequencer Buggy?

Post by st1040 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:45 pm

Hi mate, I know what you mean about Mono sequencer, if you do a search and try to find a post telling you that you had to set something before saving your preset/sequence in order for the exact same preset to load back up the same ( I'm on Live 9.1.9 ) I know there is a new Max for live Mono sequencer with 9.5, but I haven't tried it so don't know if the problem is also on that version. If I find the post/thread i'll put it up.
One work around was to record the output from mono sequencer on another midi channel and save clips, but that kind of defeats the point of having presets!

cohamill

Post by cohamill » Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:48 am

st1040 wrote:One work around was to record the output from mono sequencer on another midi channel and save clips, but that kind of defeats the point of having presets!
Yeah I do that as well whenever I create something truly gold. It's just a pain to have to compensate for Mono Sequencer's failure to achieve simple things like saving properly.

Hopefully it's fixed in 9.5; I'm still on 9.2.

st1040

Post by st1040 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:58 pm

Hi Cohamill, found it! See if it works for you:-

Post subject: Re: Live 9 new Mono sequencer - not recalling correct sequencesNew postPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:28 pm

UPDATE:

I've found a culprit :evil:

Imho someone from Ableton should address this but at least i've found what is causing my notes/sequences not to be recalled on each project load. And there is a workaround.

Solution is simple and you'll have to watch only on one thing. You can't have "edit to" enabled when you are saving your project. So beware and make sure that "edit to" is disabled and not lighting. You can have it enabled and work with it but when you are done be sure to DISABLE it.

For some reason if you have "edit to" enabled and you save and reopen project all your notes are messed up. If this is disabled you can have as much as possible patterns saved correctly, with all kind of variations, etc.

Great but imho this need to be addressed. Not everyone is reading this forum..

cohamill

Post by cohamill » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:34 am

@ st1040: Whoa! That does seem to fix at least SOME of the issues. My patterns are now saved, not just in the Pitch tab but also the Velocity tab. However, some patterns still load with weird swing settings, even if swing (and "edit to") was off when I saved. It seems there are yet more bugs.

I will definitely be remembering this "edit to" trick though. I use "edit to" on most my sequencer projects. I'm no coder, but this seems like it should be a fairly quick fix. Ableton needs to get on it.

maky355

Post by maky355 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:36 pm

cohamill wrote:@ st1040: Whoa! That does seem to fix at least SOME of the issues. My patterns are now saved, not just in the Pitch tab but also the Velocity tab. However, some patterns still load with weird swing settings, even if swing (and "edit to") was off when I saved. It seems there are yet more bugs.

I will definitely be remembering this "edit to" trick though. I use "edit to" on most my sequencer projects. I'm no coder, but this seems like it should be a fairly quick fix. Ableton needs to get on it.
Yeah that was me who posted solution. I reported this to ableton directly but they don't care or this is far beyond them. I think they said it wasn't coded by Ableton stuff but it was 3rd party. Anyway Ableton did not fixed it. I talked about this with mr. Monolake and he offered help but unfortunately i don't have so much time anymore to play with other people bugs.

This is not showstopper and still you can use Monosequencer. It definitely is a good sequencer. I wish it had "write to clip" option like J74 step sequencer have so after you create sequence you can export it to ableton clip. Maybe in future Ableton will upgrade this device.